Let's talk custom motors

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Let's talk custom motors

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

So, I've been studying up on motors and I've hand rewound some stock armetures. I've been training up the wife and will be going into production mode here soon. Will put out some hot motors and also make motors to customer specs. Still practicing and studying right now but I hope to have some actual motors to sell within a month or two. I would like to get it done sooner but work and other commitments have me by the balls right now. It takes alot of track time to QA motors.

Anyhow, just curious on everyone's thoughts on motors. What would you be looking for and why? What kind of components do you favor, I.E. spiral armeture, # of turns, magnet types, etc..

Ball bearings are a given. I will not make any motors without BB's unless requested.
Cause I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

The things I look for in a motor is ball bearing can and drilled holes for mounting (PN mount). I also am interested in motors with both of those features that will run with a stock board.

Unlike a lot of other people, I'm not really looking for the ultimate "hot" motor, as you can only go so fast on our RCP track layouts and still make the turns. A lot of guys racing on RCP tracks use X-speed type motors, so figuring out a stock fet-safe motor that offers better performance than an X-speed would be pretty popular.

My fastest, best handling car is sporting a Nelly and a PN S03, and I like the S03 over the S04 or my NML motors. The S03 seems to be in the sweet spot for me where I have all the acceleration and speed I need, but I can use the full range of throttle and it doesn't get too hot that it starts melting shit. I believe the S03 is a 39t motor, and the S04 is 35t. I recently put together a motor with neo magnets and a PN 37t armature in a PN BB can, and I think it will be pretty nice, though I haven't run it yet.
dogbreathracing
bitPlaya'

Post by dogbreathracing »

Looking for something for the AWD, about 40T with neos for grunt, nice short track motor............ :smile:
R/C Crash Test Dummy
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

SuperFly wrote: I also am interested in motors with both of those features that will run with a stock board. figuring out a stock fet-safe motor that offers better performance than an X-speed would be pretty popular.
What he said :-o

-Pretty much looking for a motor that is fast and punchy , And enable it to be run on a stock board.
We don't need no god damn roads!
91LudeSiT
bitHood

Post by 91LudeSiT »

My ideal motor would be setup as follows:
Atomic can with neo mags and carbon brushes
15 Degree Spiral arm with Silver "fat comm"
33 turns of silver motor wire
then have the armature drill balanced for torque
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

91LudeSiT wrote:My ideal motor would be setup as follows:
Atomic can with neo mags and carbon brushes
15 Degree Spiral arm with Silver "fat comm"
33 turns of silver motor wire
then have the armature drill balanced for torque
That's actually one of the motors I'm going to make and test. It should work, but I need to give that one extra QA. Spiral armetures tend to pull more current during acceleration than other motors. I'm curious if a 2 X 3 stack can handle it.

Thanx for all the input. Keep it coming.
Cause I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle.