Heh... a 1/28... not a TA03F anymore!

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
color0
bitPlaya'

Heh... a 1/28... not a TA03F anymore!

Post by color0 »

Ever since I screwed up the last design I decided to use an existing platform to base my creation off of, and now that I have the manufacturing process secured, I went ahead to create this:

Not too many detailed pictures for now, it's not totally done yet. But the important stuff you need to know is that it's based off an MA-010, the motor is mounted in front, drives the front diff through two idlers (hence the TA03F comment), the servo is in the rear, the batteries are placed as low and narrow as physically possible (they load from the bottom, hence not visible in this picture), and the rear suspension has something special that I can't reveal till the model is 100% done and/or I've patented it. (Yes, I've done my research, my idea is original and the qualitative physics work out.)

Enjoy! Also looking for suggestions, if any.
Last edited by color0 on Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greyscale Racing
chrome
bitNinja

Post by chrome »

What have you worked out for gear ratios? Looks to me like the driveline will have a low gear ratio and the AWD will add rolling resistance and the top speed will realy suffer.

If you are looking to really sell these, you'll need top speed to bring the watchful eyes of buyers.

Design looks good though, I'd love to see what the rear suspension set up will be. I can tell it's IRS, but the shocks mount directly overtop the axel shafts? CAD designs are hard to tell by though.

Later,
Chrome...
Intelligence is knowing what you don't know.
color0
bitPlaya'

Post by color0 »

Gear ratio is the equivalent of an MR02's 10/44 gearing. That's on the tall side as far as gearing goes, since I intend to use a neo magnet motor in this car.

I'm not looking to sell this first one; the gear ratios currently aren't very flexible (can't do short gear ratios yet), so it'll necessitate a neo-magnet motor. But if this proves to be a success I can redesign a front bulkhead that supports short gearing.

Nope, I'm not mounting extra springs atop the knuckles. Try again. :-o

Edit: Here's the front tierod, knuckle and steering bellcrank. The knuckle is not wholly dimensionally correct, I just need it there for referencing the 'important' points (I'm using the actual MA010 part anyways, no point in designing it). The bellcrank I left unfinished till I get a servo, but I drew in a steering linkage just for shits and giggles.

Greyscale Racing
color0
bitPlaya'

Post by color0 »

Redesigned the car and went with a conventional mid-motor layout this time... but I felt like hiding something so I made the pic stupidly dark. Looks like an ad, almost. Don't strain your eyes too hard. :innocent:

What you need to know is that the CG is ridiculously low, definitely as low as a Pro-Z. However, its layout is also narrower than the Pro-Z by at least 5mm, which makes for faster directional changes. And of course it's AWD and uses standard MA010 differentials and CVD joints. Still working on the suspension at the moment but it will be C-hub style front and rear, adjustable camber, caster, toe, downtravel and roll center; SAS dampers will be used for their availability and adjustability.

See the 4.26.07? I'm aiming to have a working model assembled by then. With a bit of dedication I think I can pull it off. (With a bit of encouragement, I could definitely pull it off. :-o )
Greyscale Racing
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

well, from what I've seen, heard etc, it sounds fuckin' awesome! I just need to have one of these, if you happen to need any testers, you got one volunteer right here! :-) :lol:
We don't need no god damn roads!
color0
bitPlaya'

Post by color0 »

I'll remember that. :-o

Ok, now how 'bout you guys help me out a little... shaft or belt drive? The drivetrain's complicated enough, so every last bit of efficiency does matter. A belt drive would save two bearings and wouldn't be affected by chassis flex, but we always have the issue with belts snapping and whatnot. That might be troublesome for some users. Shaft driven is durable and more compact, but I would need two more bearings for the shaft, and I might have to raise the motor 1mm. There is an advantage in that I could have a smaller hole in the chassis for the motor, and because of the miter gear configuration, it's easier to design the front suspension and steering assembly.

I will develop both drivetrains, but sooner or later a decision has to be made.
Greyscale Racing
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

Personally, I'd like to see a belt drive, for a few reasons, It would be a first for this scale.
My belt driven 1/10 TC was very, very responsive! I like a responsive car, it makes driving so much more thrilling, I mean, mini-z are allot more responsive than Xmods for sure :lol: , but a little more couldn't help.

As soon as you get some "real life" prototype parts, be sure to post them up, I'm looking forward to seeing more ! :-o
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

Any possibility of using xmod driveline parts?
color0
bitPlaya'

Post by color0 »

You'd have to shoot me first. :-)

I'm done with the belt drivetrain, now onto the shaft... will have pictures of both at a later time.
Greyscale Racing
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

Murdoch wrote:Any possibility of using xmod driveline parts?
color0 wrote:You'd have to shoot me first. :-)
:lol: :-D

I await the pics! :-o
color0
bitPlaya'

Post by color0 »

Here's the belt version: I sacrificed drivetrain simplicity for ultimate distribution of mass. Obviously not finished, but the positions are final.

Greyscale Racing
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

Nice, belt drive might be more of a novelty...might sell better. Plus it's quieter. Great design tho, love the staggered batts :-o
color0
bitPlaya'

Post by color0 »

Most of my customers should be educated folks who know which is more efficient... so I'm going to leave the option open, but most likely will go with shaft because it's easier to route the steering system around it.

Greyscale Racing
jonnywachter

Re: Heh... a 1/28... not a TA03F anymore!

Post by jonnywachter »

This project is really interesting, what happened? did he trash the idea and start the MRCG? or did he finish it somewhere else?
payaso
bitPimp

Re: Heh... a 1/28... not a TA03F anymore!

Post by payaso »

payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein