Greyscale Racing MRCG

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
color0
bitPlaya'

Post by color0 »

Yeah, I've gotten a couple gentle reminders that WD40 isn't lube. Slipped my mind, I have some grease in there now. :-)

I suppose I'll have to allocate some time this weekend to take the mill apart and clean everything up. Knock on wood that everything works fine afterwards. :-o
Greyscale Racing
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

one thing i've wondered.. can I shove a 180 size motor in there.. like a mamba?
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Murdoch wrote:one thing i've wondered.. can I shove a 180 size motor in there.. like a mamba?
I got an idea where you can shove that motor...Awe, never mind :-)
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

hehe, jealous? :)
color0
bitPlaya'

Post by color0 »

No, not with this design. The GSR guys, however, have influenced me to design a mount that allows for 12mm AON/Feigao/Losi/etc. BL motors.
Greyscale Racing
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

awesome.
color0
bitPlaya'

Post by color0 »

First functional prototype!

Pics first.

Comments:

1) The mill countersunk two of the holes a little deeper than the rest. This might have something to do with my fixturing platform (it's not perfectly trued yet), so I'll look into it.
2) I accidentally used climb milling for everything, and had to file the parts a bit to get the finish you see here. Still, not bad.
3) The chassis went together very smoothly. After the finishing filing, I had only minimal filing to do to make the kingpins fit into the holders. And once in, they are very snug.
4) The rear suspension is a good stiffness up and down, but the roll stiffness is rather high, even for my tastes. I do not know how this will factor into real-world driving yet.
5) The front end will not flex unless you hit something really hard. I've been testing it with Kyosho hard springs and so far there is no visible flex.
6) The tierod movement is a little bit stiffer than the MR02, although this is partially because I preloaded the hard springs.

All in all a decent job, I hope to have the elecs soldered together quite soon and some bearings, wheels and tires (doh, I sold 'em...) and this car will be ready to go!
Greyscale Racing
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

Looking really good :-o
Curios to see the real-world driving too. Is front suspension possible to adjust (camber, caster)?
color0
bitPlaya'

Post by color0 »

Got some more work done. The car is currently riding on plastic and metal bushings (!) so don't expect it to run quite yet.

Note the new uber-low oil damper config. Now the only things that even reach wheel level are an antenna, two motor wires and a crystal holder. That's pretty darn low if you ask me. ;)

Front end detail: Kingpins are held up by exactly 1/8" of fiberglass milled to spec, it's stiff. I also got a clean conversion on the HS-50; you'd have to know beforehand that it was a 3-wire servo... :)

Rear end detail: Got those side springs in, they work well and don't click on the spring perches as I had worried about earlier. Also illustrates the height of the oil damper and the amount of leeway you have to shift the batteries back and forth.

Greyscale Racing
r/cdrifter7
bitPlaya'

Post by r/cdrifter7 »

VIDEO!VIDEO! :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o
The man who said, "Money doesn't buy happiness." never had any.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

How can he have a video, it doesn't look like its runs yet.
1000+ post of BS.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

SHAUN wrote:How can he have a video, it doesn't look like its runs yet.
:???: ...well, he could make a really boring video.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

aw man that thing is absolutely dope.
color0
bitPlaya'

Post by color0 »

With the exception of a battery pack and a bearing set, MRCG #001 is ready to go. :-o

Edit: Considering the ball diff, motor mount and oil damper, it appears I've managed to shave a few grams off the MR02's chassis weight:

Last edited by color0 on Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greyscale Racing
jordanQ
bitPlaya'

Post by jordanQ »

:eek: i love you :eek:

That is awesome!

I am personally not much into mini's but if i were i would totally buy parts for this!

:-)
frizzen is a friend of mine