HFAY build

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

guerd87 wrote:nice looking mini-z :) cant wait to hear more

thats the roblem with those slot car bodys, they are so soft they just let the damage to whats inside the car, in this case...plastic :|

when i use to race slot cars had a few leave the track and smash the wall, usually breaking motormounts or twisting the thin metal chassis
Best one I ever saw was when a car at speed became deslotted in the bowl (think 90 degree banking) and left the track and hit the ceiling (about 10 foot up.) It was probably traveling at close to 50 miles an hour when we saw it go. Even the owner of the car had a laugh, but he did get it repaired before the next race.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

guerd87 wrote:nice looking mini-z :) cant wait to hear more

thats the roblem with those slot car bodys, they are so soft they just let the damage to whats inside the car, in this case...plastic :|

when i use to race slot cars had a few leave the track and smash the wall, usually breaking motormounts or twisting the thin metal chassis
That's what I'm talking about. The body is basically the shell on the turtle, protecting all the expensive internals. I'd much rather have to repair or replace a $20 plastic body than $60+ of steering or drivetrain components.

And with slot cars, everyone has their own lane that they have to stay in by the very nature of slot cars, and the car-to-car contact is mainly in the event of a crash. With mini-zs, everyone is driving all over the track, and it's important to be able to be involved in a crash and drive away and keep racing. Heavier, rigid bodies allow you to do just that.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

In slotcars there a fine art called nerfing.

That is when you are on the inside line in a turn and you bump the guy next to you out of the slot while you stay in the slot.

The best, I was very good but others were better, could bump you without damaging either car, just a little nudge and he doesn't hit the wall. Of course if the guy is really pissing you off (like preventing your car that is 2 seconds a lap faster from passing him) you can really nerf him hard into the wall (done that too :-( .)

I've seen hits where the chassis was bent in a 45 degree angle after the nerf/wall/other cars/another wall/floor hit was over.

I liked the soft nerf, you get past and corner marshal had the other guy back running in a second.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Wait, what? Do you just goose it a little, get the back end to swing, and smack the other car? In dirt track racing there have been times--especialy in the Street Stocks--when you need to get away from someone who's all over you so you do that to a back marker (well just 24 to 64 times bigger). The resultng chaos is usualy blamed in the back marker for 'getting in your way'...nasty trick I hear, not that I've ever done anthing like that. :innocent:
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Dangerous Dave
bitHood

Post by Dangerous Dave »

rubbing is racing :cool:

we do a bit of that with our HO (1/64) slot cars, there's a line between rubbing and hacking :-(