Review: bitcharg motors 3.8

Only topics reviewing or comparing tools, toys, etc. as well as resources such as parts lists, etc.
betty.k
bitPimp

Review: bitcharg motors 3.8

Post by betty.k »

i was given one of the new bitcharg-motors 3.8's today (thanks ph2t, you a legend!), to test and review and the results is in!
l - r: tomy 1.6, 2.2, 2.6, 3.0, bitcharg-motors 3.8, perfection 3.5 (? purple end).

the ratings are 0 - 10, 10 being my favourite perfection 3.5. i tested torque on a part of the concrete outside that curves up to about 45 degrees by starting at the base and seeing how far up it could climb. normally my monster gets airborne when doing this.
i rated speed again compared to the 3.5 in the monster which does 10kph.

first test subject was my monster with dual 200mah nimh, fetted pcb (single)7.1:1 gears, and larger diameter tyres.

__________speed_____torque
1.6_______2 ________2
2.2_______3 ________2
2.6_______4 ________3
3.0_______5 ________5
3.8_______7_________6

next test chassis was a shen with a stock pcb, single 80mah nimh,9.86:1 gears, normal bcg wheels/tyres

__________speed_____torque
1.6_______2_________2
2.2_______3_________3
2.6_______4_________3
3.0_______6_________5
3.8_______8_________6

as you can see, the results are quite similar for stock and upgraded. all in all i found it to be slower and less torquey than my perfection motors, but not by a lot as the results show. it was quite similar in performance to my perfection 3.8 (blue end) it certainly outperforms a 3.0 tomy, and displays the same torque characteristics of the tomy range. i felt it would be great for a single cell with fets. nice stable motor, but not as ballsy as some of my perfection motors. to the best of my knowledge, they're only available through tinyrc.com and are $10.99 us :shock: ! any one else got one? let us know what you think of them :???:[/img]
i used to be cool
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

That was a very imformative, very well put together review, but still I have to maintain my stance, that there is such a wide varience, it's impossible to base an opinion off of just few examples.

My testing methods are very unscientific, but what I do is just run 2 cars side by side, and switch the motors back and forth, because I feel that ultimately the real test is how the cars perform on the ground against each other.

What I find is the motors put out their power at different points in the acceleration curve. The BCGMotors 3.8 puts all it's power in the top end, where as the R-Spec II has more mid-band power, but is still a dog off the line, and loses some top end. Of about 10 Perfection 4.2s (Pro and Kings)I've been through, 4 were good, and 5 were total duds. Of the good ones, they had great off the line torque, and excellent top end speed comparable to the BCGM 3.8.

When your running multiple cells the motor's number ratings mean nothing. Since they are rated with a single cell. Seems to me the higher RPM motors are already pushing their max RPMs. I've had the best luck running multiple cells with clone motors, and the Zip Zap 2.2 seems to take well to multi-cells as well.

Ultimately, I guess I have about the same bottom line as you, the BCGmotors 3.8 is best suited for a single cell FET modded car. I also agree 10.99 seems pricey, but I have 2 3.8s, a R-Spec II, a Formula 34, and a 3.2 from them, and all performed consistantly well. The Perfection motors have varied wildly in performance, and I have heard many a nightmare about ToyEast returns, where as when I recieved a bunk 3.8 from Bit Char-G Motors (I bought direct from them, before TRC bought out his stock) I not only recieved a replacement, but also the 3.2 for my troubles, and I swear that's by far the most well rounded motor I've had.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

looks like we agree on motors dave! buying perfection motors is a lottery, some are fantastic and others are duds. i wouldn't even bother trying to return a dud perfection, they go in the bin.
on the other hand i'll bet my tomy and bdgm motors perform exactly the same as yours, i find they are consistent in quality. that's why i used tomy's for comparison, and most people have at least 1. if you can afford one, i reckon it's a worthy addition to your arsenal :cool:
i used to be cool