Review: iWaver mini-z

Only topics reviewing or comparing tools, toys, etc. as well as resources such as parts lists, etc.
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

Bird wrote:Sorry, sessiz :-) , My bad. That's payback for you making me want an Epoch. I bought a Shaq 'Vette a few weeks ago to try to ease my longings, but it just made me want an Epoch even more.

Seriously, though, this iWaver is really decent for the money, and you think those guys at the mini-z track get frustrated when you're runnin' neck and neck with your xmod? Imagine how they react when you do it with a $25 clone....
It's all good bird. :-)
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

You know, I never use my Xmod, 'cause I don't really have a place to play with something that size, but for 25 bucks, how can I pass on one of these?

Only problem is, it's ToyEast. I'd have to buy a pile of other crap, because they always have such great deals on cool stuff.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

crazydave wrote:You know, I never use my Xmod, 'cause I don't really have a place to play with something that size, but for 25 bucks, how can I pass on one of these?

Only problem is, it's ToyEast. I'd have to buy a pile of other crap, because they always have such great deals on cool stuff.
Ditto. :-)
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I need to order some stuff from them too. Its just everytime I go to checkout at TE, my damn shopping cart is too big, so I end up not getting anything and puttin' it off till I can make it a smaller, more affordable order.

Edit>>>1:29pm>>Gonna try and get some vid. of this thing today. Bird and me are gonna find some pavement to tear up, or maybe a tennis court or two.
TMP
bitGangsta'

Post by TMP »

awesome man, cant wait. :grin:
The METALLIC Pimp.
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

OK, latest iWaver update.... I dropped in the escalation motor last night, and while I was at it I decided to address the poorly made stock wheel nuts. I got 4 xmod nuts and put them in the little xmod nut wrench one at a time, and used the small etching tip on my dremel to open up the capped ends, allowing them to work on the longer mini-z axles. They are now much more secure. I still want alloy nylocks, but now I can hold off a bit because I'm no longer afraid of wheels falling off at speed.

I haven't had a chance to get it outside with the escalation motor yet, but my initial runs in the kitchen and living room suggest that I won't be disappointed.... This thing feels stronger than my stage 2(10 tooth) xmod! I can't wait til I get a chance to take it outside and open it up to find out for sure. I'll post my full evaluation when I do.

I also re-re-edited my video, but it's hopeless, I can't get the link to where I hosted it to work right to save my life.
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

I love that escalation motor. I use it on my xmod and it's feet ahead of a stage 2.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

here's a tip fellas on getting one mean as fast motor. learn't this from my miniz stuff.

goto rcmart.com and buy the tamyia plasma dash motor. Then (off the same site) buy the PN racing ballbearing motor can and also the PM racing carbon brushes (in the mini-z motor section).

Pull apart the plasma dash motor and get the armature (the coil thingy that rotates). First, get the magnets from the tamiya motor and put them in the BB case. Put this armature into the ball bearing motor can and use the carbon brushes on the end bell..... Solder two "103" ceramic caps from each end terminal to the main case and solder the power leads to the motor.

this motor is the fastest motor I have and enables me to push my madforce up to approx 30-35kph. This doesn't sound like much BUT the madforce is seriously down geared 'cause of the monster tyres.....

The only issue is that you might need an external turbo or FET upgrade 'cause these motors are seriously HOT, (high current drawing).

ph2t.
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

How many turns are on the "rotating coil thingy" in that plasma dash? I've been looking into all of my options and will probably be adding an external turbo(FET thingy that bypasses the esc :-) ), and a hot motor after I've addressed a few of the weak points of the chassis and do a few upgrades. I am also seriously considering selling my xmod(minus the IC3's) to finance this. I am liking this "cheap clone" that much.

I read somewhere that the iWaver PCB is different than the Kyosho. Could it be so different that the turbos available wouldn't be compatible? Or is it the same components with a different layout? I could take a pic and put it up here if necessary...

now if I could just get the "FET FAIRY" to pay me a visit
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

ph2t wrote:here's a tip fellas on getting one mean as fast motor. learn't this from my miniz stuff.

goto rcmart.com and buy the tamyia plasma dash motor. Then (off the same site) buy the PN racing ballbearing motor can and also the PM racing carbon brushes (in the mini-z motor section).

Pull apart the plasma dash motor and get the armature (the coil thingy that rotates). First, get the magnets from the tamiya motor and put them in the BB case. Put this armature into the ball bearing motor can and use the carbon brushes on the end bell..... Solder two "103" ceramic caps from each end terminal to the main case and solder the power leads to the motor.

this motor is the fastest motor I have and enables me to push my madforce up to approx 30-35kph. This doesn't sound like much BUT the madforce is seriously down geared 'cause of the monster tyres.....

The only issue is that you might need an external turbo or FET upgrade 'cause these motors are seriously HOT, (high current drawing).

ph2t.
That was exactly, precisly my plan I had already devised. (minus the brushes), when I was browsing through the stuff at HobbyEtc., but I figured I'd need to upgrade the FETs in my Xmods before I did that. I was also looking at some upgraded magnets.

I'm leaving my Xmod stock, until I see if that RS racing series comes through, but I think I'm about to give up on that.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

Latest little iWaver tweak: I realized that I had 2 extra bearings in my box of xmod stuff(been runnin' 2wd), so I dropped them in the carriers on the motor pod to smooth up the axle a bit until I get around to buying a full set. I think they're slightly narrow, but I have a bunch of spacers and teflon washers in my big box of old traxxas stuff(can't seem to locate my diff grease, though :sad: ), I'll just dig somethin' out of there to eliminate the slight side to side play.
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

Ok, let me get this straight.

These Iwaver Mini-Z's have better propo than the Xmods, 2 wheel drive, a clear controller case, better range.

How fast do they go out of the box in comparison to a stock Mini-Z or a stock Xmod? Are they fully propo, or just in steps? Are they as customizable as the Xmods?

Sounds like a good deal....
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

fully propo and "just in steps" are the same thing man. For some thing to be "fully propo" ( a term I hate!) means that the steps are ultra fine with a very high resolution. To say "just in steps" means that this resolution in control is utra-coarse. IE: smooth = 512 steps, coarse is like 8 steps.........

ph2t.
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

ph2t wrote:fully propo and "just in steps" are the same thing man. For some thing to be "fully propo" ( a term I hate!) means that the steps are ultra fine with a very high resolution. To say "just in steps" means that this resolution in control is utra-coarse. IE: smooth = 512 steps, coarse is like 8 steps.........

ph2t.
Ahh, ok. Got it. So, full propo is 256 steps to one side. But, do these things have 512 step propo or coarse?
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

very smooth propo controll (apparently - I don't own one)