Review: iWaver mini-z

Only topics reviewing or comparing tools, toys, etc. as well as resources such as parts lists, etc.
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

So.. Yeah.... I got my mini z today. I'm hoping to get a chance to play wit it tonight. :-)
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

sessiz wrote:So.. Yeah.... I got my mini z today. I'm hoping to get a chance to play wit it tonight. :-)
you're still a slacka, and you don't know how to spell iwaver, so many people spell it incorrectly as mini-z instead... silly silly people :-)
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

Apparently the dude that wrote the review that Goku copied and pasted(oh, wait, I just read the same review on mini-z racer, it was charlie brown!) has no experience with anything beyond his beloved x-mod(don't get me wrong, I still dig my x-mod), or he didn't feel it necessary to read the instruction manual where he would have discovered a neato feature that has been included in every "fully propo"(the more I read up in certain places on the net, the more annoyed I become with some peoples apparent obsession with "true propo") radio system for years now..... dual rate!!! Because if he had, he would have known that by simply adjusting that, the steering angle can be set to suit any condition.... thus eliminating his big "spin out problem".

ph2t, I bear no illusions that the iWaver will ever be a real mini-z, but, I will say that it suits my needs just fine.
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

Well, the Iwaver gets the big ole thumbs up from me. :-)
I had a total of maybe 30minutes play time with it, on medium pile carpet with minimum room. This thing beats the xmods with ease in just about all aspects. With the HUGE mini z aftermarket out there, I have no doubts that I'm gonna be jumping in head first with this as I did with the xmods. :-)

(Sure I could've bought a kyosho mini-z, but where's the fun in that? Pissing on kyosho purists is fun :razz: )

*EDIT- Forgot to add that I plan on getting another for an electronics swap into my xmod, if possible.

*Edit- Also wanted to add that son-gayko is a twat. Thank you, goodnight. :-)
Last edited by sessiz on Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

ph2t, I know why I must break in the motors....to wear down the brushes to a curved shape, to make more surface area contact with the commutator, for more torque and speed.

Bird, I already knew what the Dual rate thing was, but you addressed it by a name which I wasn't familiar with. That said, I though you were referring to something differnent. Still, I can't say I've tried it....I'm a lost cause. You win, I'm the retard....

Why must people be so harsh...
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

Bird wrote: a neato feature that has been included in every "fully propo" radio system for years now..... dual rate!!!
I called it dual rate. Cut through the "harshness" and sidebars ranting about hating on narrow minded Kyosho purists and elitist snobs obsessed with some magical 512 step amazing oh my god who gives a shit propo and it's right there.
Goku wrote:You win, I'm the retard....
Has it ever crossed your mind that statements such as this are what makes everyone think you're a twat?
sessiz wrote:Pissing on kyosho purists is fun :razz:
Word
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

Bird wrote:
Bird wrote: a neato feature that has been included in every "fully propo" radio system for years now..... dual rate!!!
I called it dual rate. Cut through the "harshness" and sidebars ranting about hating on narrow minded Kyosho purists and elitist snobs obsessed with some magical 512 step amazing oh my god who gives a shit propo and it's right there.
Goku wrote:You win, I'm the retard....
Has it ever crossed your mind that statements such as this are what makes everyone think you're a twat?
#1: relax, ok? I'm still learning about these things.
#2: What about your statement in that "get your drift on" thread? You said "Fine. I'm the idiot newbie. My bad" Why isn't it considered twattish when YOU do it?
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

Goku wrote:#1: relax, ok? I'm still learning about these things.
#2: What about your statement in that "get your drift on" thread? You said "Fine. I'm the idiot newbie. My bad" Why isn't it considered twattish when YOU do it?
#1: I am more relaxed than you can ever possibly imagine...hehe, and was just pointing out that I had, in fact, addressed dual rate by a name which you claimed to be familiar with... dual rate.
#1.5: lol@"twattish"
#2: Because I was addressing YOU with that statement. Hell, I gave YOU props for calling me out. And then YOU twattishly(lol) apologized. I then told YOU that YOU should not apologize. YOU are free to consider me a twat all YOU want...

Edit: Saturday afternoon, a little before 2pm... Damn near 21 hours after you began posting pics and yer opinion of tha iWaver on mzr.... 2 pages of bickering and clone hater douches and kids debating about their allowances in yer thread on mzr.... Someone finally had the sense to ask you if you can adjust the turning radius..... nice.
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

Well, I decided to take the stock Iwaver Mini-Z motor apart, see how many winds were inside it.

Turns out that there were 65 winds of wire on each pole. I took some off and reduced it to 45 turns. I'm not sure if the stock FETs can handle this, though, and for that reason, (along with the fact that when I hooked it up to an adapter nothing happened) I didn't install it in the Z.

Another weird thing that happened, is that I turned the Iwaver on, and I gunned the throttle....nothing happened. Turned both the TX and the RX off, then on again...gunned the throttle, the wheels spun. Released it, then gunned it again....nothing. I hooked the motor (escalation) up to an adapter, and it made the revving noise for a sec, then died down and rotated less.....

My guess is that when I was unsoldering and resoldering the capacitors from the can to adjust the windings, it must have heated up and fried the capacitors....
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

:???: Yeah, probly. I don't mess with that stuff... When I get jaded with the performance of the escalation, I'll probly just spend the few bucks($15?, whatever) on a PN Racing Speedy, which is supposed to be about the best you can get before having to do fets or a turbo... speaking of which, I considered getting one of the turbos currently available, but I think I can wait until ph2t gets the "woah nelly" done and ready to sell... THEN I'll worry about low-wind super sick hot motors.

Edit... I just remembered what I wanted to say. I can't wait to see what sessiz is gonna do with his, hop-up wise. The fun is only beginning with these.....
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

I ordered a tierod+knuckle set to go with my iwaver, It's allready installed and it was the last one that TE had and looks like it may be a discontinued item. (I'll post the kyosho item number later) The first thing I gotta get is a new diff, the one that's on there stock don't look like it can handle much. With that I definantly need some rear roll shocks and some springs for upfront and probably a carbon fibre H-plate (price permitting). I allready have a Kyosho audi tt body that I bought for my xmod from towerhobbies months ago (on sale for $5), I also have a ferrari iwaver body that never made it onto the xmod. After I get used to driving the car and tweak it to where I want it I'll go to sexing her up a bit. :-)
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

Update- I decided to modify the Escalation motor as well... there were 50 turns per pole, reduced that to 45 as well too. Sessiz, the Pn Racing Speedy motor has 45 turns, a ball bearing can, and some other shit...I rewound the Escalation motor, and the thing is pretty cool now....Also, when I opened it up, the brushes were nice, curved, and sharp....The breaking-in really worked! :smile: I reduced the winds, but I think I added too much solder to the terminals where the wires are supposed to be soldered. This probably got in the way of the endbell....

When I popped in the motor, it was actually slow as shit....And when I went in reverse....slower. :-( DOH!

I think that perhaps the Iwaver's Z stock FETs can't handle the 45 turn....
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

Bird, I recently scored two turbos from a mate downunder. They are the TLP Twin Turbo and the GPM V2 Turbo. I've been reverse engineering them to find out what MOSFETs are on them, etc, etc.... So far, theoretically Nelly has better performance than these turbos. But I'm still testing.

My Madforce with a 4*2 stack of FETS and a custom rotor was clocked at 30kph. The motor is the one spec'd in my Nelly thread. I'm gonna go over to betty's today with the madforce and do a speed test now using my Nelly turbo instead. Hopefully the results will be good. I know for a fact that Nelly is better than a 4*2 stack of fets from my own testing. I've yet to do the speed check for Nelly though.

I believe MicroAmps did some investigation into MOSFET modding the first generation of LXX mini-z's and had no luck. Hopefully the 2nd generation will be OK. Now, all I gots to do is get my hands on one :hungry: .

Is there any reports/documentation of people's experience with running the iWaver mini-z's with external turbos?

Also, I put a 12 turn, neo magnet, bb can motor onto Nelly and she didn't even get warm! So I don't think motor load will ever be a problem for her.

Cheers,

ph2t.
Last edited by ph2t on Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

Son_Gokou wrote:Update- I decided to modify the Escalation motor as well... there were 50 turns per pole, reduced that to 45 as well too. Sessiz, the Pn Racing Speedy motor has 45 turns, a ball bearing can, and some other shit...I rewound the Escalation motor, and the thing is pretty cool now....Also, when I opened it up, the brushes were nice, curved, and sharp....The breaking-in really worked! :smile: I reduced the winds, but I think I added too much solder to the terminals where the wires are supposed to be soldered. This probably got in the way of the endbell....

When I popped in the motor, it was actually slow as shit....And when I went in reverse....slower. :-( DOH!

I think that perhaps the Iwaver's Z stock FETs can't handle the 45 turn....
Charlie, buy the Tamiya min-4wd motors from rcmart.com:

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/default.p ... 21_293_190

These motors have great armatures and also excellent magnets that are stronger than most magnets but not insansely strong like neo-magnets.
The plasma dash armature is the BEST ARMATURE stock. It is 27 turns so you will need a turbo or fet upgrade. The other motors listed in the link are mean't to be shit hot as well...

ph2t.

edit: confirmed the plasma is 27 turns...
Last edited by ph2t on Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

ph2t wrote:
Also, I put a 12 turn, neo magnet, bb can motor onto Nelly and she didn't even get warm! So I don't think motor load will ever be a problem for her.

Cheers,

ph2t.
Ok, now I GOTTA know how you created that turbo. Instructions please?

Anyways....some pics of the Iwaver's electronics....