Review: iWaver mini-z

Only topics reviewing or comparing tools, toys, etc. as well as resources such as parts lists, etc.
Bird
bitPimp

Review: iWaver mini-z

Post by Bird »

I've wanted a mini-z for a loooong time. Way before I even knew what bits were I wanted a mini-z. When I had my Rustler running I wanted a mini-z. I never knew about "clones" until I got into bits. A while back, toyeast had the lxx ones and by the time I was ready to order one, they were gone. I have since bought an x-mod, and was getting all into that when, to my surprise, I was preparing to order a bunch of bit stuff from toyeast and there it was. $25. I couldn't resist. I ordered the red Porsche 911 and threw in a Ferrari F355 body for good measure. It arrived yesterday.

Unfortunately, the 911 was missing the drivers side mirror, so i was glad I had thrown down for the extra body. And I think toyeast is gonna take care of it, their service dept. wants me to email them a pic of it and I am as soon as I'm done putting this up.

As you can see, it looks like a mr-01

I haven't been able to really open it up, because my kitchen is a mess, and the weather has been crappy. I have, however, sat and run it at low speeds for a good hour, weaving around the clutter, and finding that it is propo.... I don't know about how many steps, but I have to say it is good. The trims and the steering dual rate all work as they are supposed to, and the only issue I have had was it didn't always center right when I ran it in my living room. I shouldn't have been running it on the carpet, anyway.

I do not have a real mini-z or experience with one to compare, but I do have a pretty laid-out xmod and I fear I may end up liking this more. I think with some well selected upgrades from the deeeeep mini-z aftermarket, this ride will be killer. I also threw one of those lxx escalation motors in my order, and will wait until I am jaded with it stock to throw in.

I have no stake in any of these mini-z vs. xmod debates raging all over the internet. I am into ALL rc cars(especially bits), and find that there is something to be enjoyed in all of them. All in all, I feel that for the money, this iWaver mini-z clone is a steal. I highly recommend getting one if you have always wanted a mini-z but didn't want to put up the bucks.
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

but do the bodies fit on the xmods?
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpFo ... php?t=3227

sessiz used velcro and the RSX wheelbase. I guess I'm going to have to invest in some driveshafts. I'm hoping toyeast just sends me another Porsche body and lets me keep the one with the missing mirror, because I'll just take the other one off and putty and paint over the holes black(or order some red supra xmod ones and try to adapt them). Either way, the Porsche is probly gonna end up on my xmod. sessiz said in that thread that the antenna mount was in the way for the Ferarri, and I've already started considering chopping the post down to accomodate it.

For no reason other than I like this pic, here's sg219's black Civic, the iWaver, and my blue Civic:

I really need to get a set of wide rims for the back of that Ferarri. I saw some sweet bbs style alloys on dinball for like 13 bucks that I might have to pick up.
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

ah my xmod will smoke em all :)
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

I don't know about all of that.... we'll see. That motor sg219 got off of ebay is seriously sick. And that iWaver is punchy as hell to begin with, and I'm sure the escalation motor will be out of hand in there. Like i said, though, we'll see....

You said you were thinking about adding more cells, but you never said what kind you run. You got IC3's? The only thing keeping me from adding 2 more cells to my xmod is not wanting to put up the dough for more IC3's.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I smell TOAST!!!
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

StopDropRace is supposed to come through the 'Burgh the weekend of the 23'd. What say you, hog?

You know the Shaq people ain't gonna let you run that ebay motor, right 219?
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Weekend of April 23rd? I need to know what day so I can get that day off. I'd like to go. My car is still stock RS parts, except the motor. I'm pretty sure they're not going to allow after market parts in any of the races. Still waitin' on all the CF stuff.
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

Friday the 23'd, Saturday the 24th, and Sunday the 25th. No more details yet on the xmod site. I wonder where it will be? I read somewhere that it's sketchy, and sometimes they don't even show up where they say they will

Back to the iWaver, though, I ran it a bunch more last night and I'm seriously digging it. Controlled drifts, and explosive acceleration, and that's stock. Maybe it's the IC3's, I dunno, I should try some alkalines in it to be sure. I can't wait to really open it up somewhere...

EDIT: I just had this bad boy out on my neighbors driveway(my xmod spot), and it is worth every penny. It handles better than my xmod, corners tighter, and has much better range. Not a single glitch. It doesn't center right sometimes, but I'll get to the bottom of that. I think I'll be dropping in that escalation motor today, and going out again later.
TMP
bitGangsta'

Post by TMP »

sounds great, i hate spending money on so many R/Cs but your making me want to buy this thing right now!
The METALLIC Pimp.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Its a sweet ride, I've driven it a little bit and checked it out over Birds. I like the handling and the get-up of it alot. The steering is the best I've driven. The only thing I don't like about it is the H-plate. I know this design has been around the hobby forever, but I think its a really shitty way of puttin' suspension on a car. Have you ever seen a real car like that? There is no reason for it, besides costs and ease of manufacturing.(I've grown really fond of the Xmod set-up!!)

I will still probably pick one up, because of price, and to open a can of whoop ass on Birds iWaver. But I still don't like the H-plate idea. Give me some shocks on 4 wheels any day.

Overall I'll give it a 192.....on a scale of 1 to 219.

I'll take away points for the H-plate and the cheesy chassis.

I'll give it many points for price, steering, get-up, and the great controller. And for comin' straight out of the box it is a great ride for a mear $25 US greenbacks.

As for aftermarket parts, just thank ITS clone Mini-Z for them. :???:
TMP
bitGangsta'

Post by TMP »

sg219 wrote:Its a sweet ride, I've driven it a little bit and checked it out over Birds. I like the handling and the get-up of it alot. The steering is the best I've driven. The only thing I don't like about it is the H-plate. I know this design has been around the hobby forever, but I think its a really shitty way of puttin' suspension on a car. Have you ever seen a real car like that? There is no reason for it, besides costs and ease of manufacturing.(I've grown really fond of the Xmod set-up!!)

I will still probably pick one up, because of price, and to open a can of whoop ass on Birds iWaver. But I still don't like the H-plate idea. Give me some shocks on 4 wheels any day.

Overall I'll give it a 192.....on a scale of 1 to 219.

I'll take away points for the H-plate and the cheesy chassis.

I'll give it many points for price, steering, get-up, and the great controller. And for comin' straight out of the box it is a great ride for a mear $25 US greenbacks.

As for aftermarket parts, just thank ITS clone Mini-Z for them. :???:

Well put man, i think the H-plate is absolute crap too. Why just make the ass end pivot when you can have independant springs. H-plates are outdated.
The METALLIC Pimp.
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

I saw a set of 3 different thickness GPM graphite h-plates somewhere online for like 9 bucks or so, I'll be getting them eventually. Yeah, mini-z's are a lot like pan cars, where xmods are more touring car-ish. But there is something about the simplicity of that h-plate/direct drive set-up. It makes for an efficient drivetrain. And it has withstood the test of time, there have been cars running similar set-ups since the late 70's with great success. If you really need shocks and whatnot, the aftermarket has all that stuff covered and then some.
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

God damn it man. :x I was trying to stay away from anything larger than an epoch and now you go and post this review, and summer is coming round. Yup, guess I'll be putting in an order for one. :-)
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

Sorry, sessiz :-) , My bad. That's payback for you making me want an Epoch. I bought a Shaq 'Vette a few weeks ago to try to ease my longings, but it just made me want an Epoch even more.

Seriously, though, this iWaver is really decent for the money, and you think those guys at the mini-z track get frustrated when you're runnin' neck and neck with your xmod? Imagine how they react when you do it with a $25 clone....