Review: Micro Submarines

Only topics reviewing or comparing tools, toys, etc. as well as resources such as parts lists, etc.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Review: Micro Submarines

Post by CaboWabo »

So I've been dying to find out about these things, and I finally can say I know about at least one.

My first submarine, I just couldn't get to work - I think the cell was fried and I figured opening it up is just gonna cause a pain trying to fix it - and an even bigger pain trying to seal it back up.
So enter the new submarine I picked up today at Wally World. For $10.00, I like it - a lot.
Here's a shot of both subs. The new ($10.00) one is on the right.

Pretty small huh? Even though I never got to drive my first sub - I can already tell ya I like the new better and not just because it runs. lol
It's smaller obviously, I like the charging unit a shit-ton better as well as the controller - pics on those later, back to the new sub.

The 2 torpedos on the side don't fire and are permanently attached and serve several purposes.
At the front of the torpedos, the tips can be taken off so you can add or get rid of these little rings that add weight to the front of the submarine to change the pitch of the sub and help it dive.

The rear of the torpedos hold the propellers, just behind the propellers are ailerons (I guess that's what their called?), that help control the sub.

Here's a shot of both boats and their controllers / charing units. I think you can tell which goes with which. The smaller sub's controller is seperate from the charging unit, which is much nicer.

The bigger sub charges via the cord.
The smaller sub charges via the stand. (typical clip in like the bits)
On both subs, to charge, you have to take off a piece of the sub.
On the bigger sub, you take off the periscope piece which reveals 4 little pins that connect to the female unit on the controller. The periscope piece gets loose and tends to pop off alot.
On the smaller sub, you take off the rear piece of the sub which is sealed with a rubber gasket, which reveals the typical metal strips that clip into the charger. The rear piece seals itself tightly.
Both subs have led lights, the bigger sub has more - 3 in front and 2 in rear, while the smaller sub has just 3 in front.

I've only played with the smaller sub, but I can honestly say that for $10.00 I'm more than happy. If you got a fish tank or a pool or something, I'd say spend the 10 bones and try it out.
Last edited by CaboWabo on Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Damn, I didn't get one today, like I said. I was looking at it, and trying to imagine what I'd do with it, and aside from taking a couple laps around the bath tub, I wasn't shure what I'd do with it, and was a little afraid it wouldn't function well.

...but with your positive review, I'm kinda kicking myself in the ass.

Ahh well, they still had a pile, I'm sure I could go back next week.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Sdog
bitPimp

Post by Sdog »

Nice little review and great pics...

I like the smaller size and the look of the yellow sub. For ten bones, you can't go wrong....just one more excuse to visit my uncle's pool :)
BOURBON TIME OUT!
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

I was tellin payaso about these little subs and he came up with what would probably be a pretty cool little task.
put some kind of hook on the sub and drop some stuff inside your fish tank or pool or whatever and go on a hunt to pick up the items.

I gotta think these things would rock in a bigger fish tank, being able to cruise through pieces of wood or what not.

they ain't the end all be all submarine, but for $10.00 they're worth it to me.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
VooDooMafia
bitPimp

Post by VooDooMafia »

Dude you really need to try what I did. Go down to the local petshop that has the BIGGEST display tank and fuck around.

Its fun as hell to chase fish around and watch people for a distance wonder what the hell is going on.
I Don't care what you say PIMPIN aint easy, you Broke A$$ Mother F*&Ker
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

I hear ya man, I bet it is fun...
if I sneak it, maybe I'll try and get an accomplice so I can get some pics of me filletin a fish lol
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

What's the range like? Does the water affect it? :???:

I like the fishin' idea!! :-)
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

well my pool isn't all that big, it's 18 feet across and 4 feet deep and I had no range problems. I was all over that pool so I think so far the range is do-able.