Review: West Coast Choppers, R/C Choppers!

Only topics reviewing or comparing tools, toys, etc. as well as resources such as parts lists, etc.
Namuna
bitPimp

Review: West Coast Choppers, R/C Choppers!

Post by Namuna »

I just got done snapping off pics and a little vid...Then I realize I left my damned card reader at my Mother-in-law's yesterday (was there for Thanksgiving). So, I'm going to go ahead with the review and promise to post the pics/vid as soon as I get my stuff back.

The Vitals
What: West Coast Choppers, 1:18th Scale, R/C Motorcycle
Where: WalMart
How Much: Just under $20
Batteries needed: 4xAA for the charger/controller. Chopper has it's own rechargable (unknown what kind)

The Bike
When I first saw the box for this thing, I thought "why the heck does this thing come in such a big box?" Then I see the transmitter and words "R/C" on it. The detailing is every bit as good as the Diecast version of the bikes (which is to say very nice). They carry a few different chopper models, I picked up the El Diablo...It looks like this:

The Controller/Charger
The 'kit' includes the Chopper, Controller, and the 'battery pod'. The pod is just an enclosure for the 4xAA batts with a plug at the top. With the plug you can either plug it into the Chopper to charge it, or the pod inserts into the controller to power that...If anyone has ever bought or seen the Muscle Machines R/C, it's the same setup.

How it all works
Being a motorcycle and having only 2 wheels, I was obviously intrigued at how these guys went about taking on that challenge. Well, after closer inspection it's not really just 2 wheels...On the underside, right around where the kickstand is (and on the opposite side) there are tiny little 'guide wheels' that are obviously to keep the bike upright when going slow or at a stop, that along with the ultra fatty rear wheel the bike stays upright at a standstill no problem.

For the steering, there's a steering arm that sticks out of where the gas tank meets the handlebars. Pressing the steering buttons causes the arm to pull left or right, pulling the handlebars to the proper direction.

The controller is very simplistic in having just 4 simple forward/reverse/left/right buttons.

How it performs
I was pleasantly surprised! I had low expectations for an R/C Motorcycle, but this thing is pretty cool! I was running it on my hardwood floor and it was actually a good deal of fun! The steering was snappy and responsive, and this thing must have a decent motor in there cause it was doing nothing but spin tires when I hit the gas!

Bottom line
Sweet details, sweet performance. If you're at all a fan of the 'Chopper' this thing will make a great addition to your collection...BOTH as a display item AND a fun R/C ride.

Post by Namuna »

As promised, here are some product pics and a movie...

The box:

The goods:

And the video (DivX avi, 2.8mb, 1min long):
Chopper in action
bitNinja

Post by chrome »

:broken_image:

I'd been waiting for a review of these guys. Guess I'll have to go buy one. Can these guys be opened up easily?

Later,
Chrome...[/img]
Intelligence is knowing what you don't know.
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Damn, thought the direct image link would work.

I've put it up directly on my site:
www.lincolnsworld.com/Worlds/MicroRC/WCC/WCC.htm

Post by backdrift »

i can see the pics fine!
Bit boy
bitGangsta'

Post by Bit boy »

Its cool but I want a plain old school Harley chopper.
I'm samrt
viperdout
bitGangsta'

Post by viperdout »

Looks very sweet!