RS 1967 Shelby GT500 ZZSE - Brief Review

Only topics reviewing or comparing tools, toys, etc. as well as resources such as parts lists, etc.
Sdog
bitPimp

RS 1967 Shelby GT500 ZZSE - Brief Review

Post by Sdog »

Thanks to richh for the heads up on the new ZZSE addition. Of course....once I heard the news I had to run to the local RS to take a look. Sure enough, there were two new 67 Shelbys on the shelf calling out to me.

For the record, I saw a couple of silver Acura NSX's on the shelf as well. They looked pretty nice, but I let them sit for now.

On to the review....

This shell is a multi piece shell like the other recent ZZSE's. However, unlike the Mach 1 Mustang in my last review, the windows are not a separate piece. RS did a pretty nice job getting a lot of factory correct features on the car, like the air scoops, cobra emblems, dual exhaust, headlamps, taillights, and chrome bumpers. An emblem is missing from the grill and the mirrors aren't factory correct, but the wheels are....well almost. I still wish RS would start making one piece rims to take the place of the hub cap style wheels. That one little item can make a huge difference in the looks of the car.

I dig the "Competition Green" color, but I would like it better if it were a bit darker to make it look more factory correct. The green is a bit darker than it appears in these photos, but not much. I also wish RS would have used a metalflake paint job. I'm sure some pimps will take care of that:

Typical of the SE, her ass end (quarter panels) is a bit "fat", just like my real girl. But I've grown to love 'dat ass, and I'm sure this one will grow on me too:

I really dig her ass from this angle. Check out the Shelby gas cap and dual exhaust:

The chassis and electronics appear unchanged, but the motor clip and the motor has been changed. See for yourself:

On to performance...
Like the Mach 1 Mustang, the Shelby was quick right out of the box. She ran straight with no tweaking. I get an even 5-6 steps from the steering in each direction, with a minor chatter in the 2-3 step to the left. The charge time was short and the run time is long....about the same as the Mach 1.

The turning radius is even better than the Mach 1 Mustang. The Shelby has the best turning radius I have gotten from any micro rc at about 5-6" at low speeds. It seems a bit tighter to the left, but its barely noticable.

I definitely give the Shelby the thumbs up and, like the Mach 1, I highly recommend it. Like all other SE's, the body is a bit out of proportion, but it is still a great looking shell (I may be a little biased since I this is one of my all time favorite car models). Thanks to the improved turning radius, the Shelby replaces the Mustang Mach 1 as my best performing micro out of the box to date.
Last edited by Sdog on Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BOURBON TIME OUT!
chrome
bitNinja

Post by chrome »

Aiight. What's up with the new heatsink and endbells on the motor. I saw in one of RS's picks there is a new blue motor. Anyone want to take a guess on the speed? It could be the old 1.0 motor RS did away with, but why would the bring that back?

Later,
Chrome...
Intelligence is knowing what you don't know.
Sdog
bitPimp

Post by Sdog »

Cdub....I just remembered that there is a separate review section. Feel free to move this thread there.

Cracka out...
BOURBON TIME OUT!
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

thanks for the info and pics dog.. I'm getting me one of those bitches..

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
Sdog
bitPimp

Post by Sdog »

I just noticed something else. Carroll Shelby Licensing appears in two places on the packaging:

That alone makes it a collectors item for me. :cool:
BOURBON TIME OUT!
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Holy hell that is kick ass.
Nice review Sdog.

She be moved.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
Finks
bitPimp

Post by Finks »

OMG!!! DO YOU SEE THAT RIDE HIGHT?!?!?! ON AN SE?!??! Ok so anyhow, that Stang looks so tight. Love it. Will grab one for sure, course I will end up getting it "returned" and cheep cuz I can wait :grin:
Suck My Bits
:twisted:©2005 Finks fucked your girlfriend in highschool inc
Sdog
bitPimp

Post by Sdog »

Finks wrote:OMG!!! DO YOU SEE THAT RIDE HIGHT?!?!?! ON AN SE?!??! Ok so anyhow, that Stang looks so tight. Love it. Will grab one for sure, course I will end up getting it "returned" and cheep cuz I can wait :grin:
Yup...this shell does sit pretty nice for an SE, but its still high. I'd say my photography skillz makes it looks like it sits just a tad better than it really does. But, its a Shelby Mustang, so it still kicks ass...it will kick even more ass with a few mods.
BOURBON TIME OUT!
richh
bitGangsta'

Post by richh »

great pics... i'll have to stop by the shack tomorrow and see if i can pick up one as well. with most of the releases, rs has two versions with different colors. wonder what the other color will be...

did the nsx really look decent? i was thinking zz chassis plus low slung sports car equals bad news.
Sdog
bitPimp

Post by Sdog »

richh wrote:did the nsx really look decent? i was thinking zz chassis plus low slung sports car equals bad news.
You bring up a good point. Usually the low slung sports cars look like ass on the SE chassis. The shell itself looked pretty good in the package, but....I imagine it will look pretty bad on the chassis. RS should just stick to muscle cars with the current chassis design. I know I've said this somewhere before......

Anyway....I was probably all excited about finding the Shelby and my excitement flowed over into the NSX. I'm not planning on picking one of these up. I'm sure someone else will sooner or later.
BOURBON TIME OUT!
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

:shock:

well i gotta give props to the shack for this one! there is not a single thing i'd want to change on that! when they get it right, they reeeeeeally get it right!

well done radio shack!! who'da thunk it huh?! :lol:
i used to be cool
richh
bitGangsta'

Post by richh »

richh wrote:great pics... i'll have to stop by the shack tomorrow and see if i can pick up one as well. with most of the releases, rs has two versions with different colors. wonder what the other color will be...

did the nsx really look decent? i was thinking zz chassis plus low slung sports car equals bad news.
and the answer is.... RED!

there's pics of the nsx as well...

http://ripper7racing.com/forums/index.p ... c=2912&hl=
Sdog
bitPimp

Post by Sdog »

The red looks sweet, but it should be more of a candy color red. I would actually prefer the green if RS had done it up a little darker.
BOURBON TIME OUT!
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

Nice pics, as usual. Man, I'm not at all a Ford fan... not at all. But there's something about the Shelby stuff that just kicks ass. That dude has some kinda voodoo stinkfinger he blesses everything with (that's a good thing) I'll be pickin that one up soon.

So, is RS done coming out with body sets? It seems like those are fewer and further between, lately... it sucks, 'cuz I still dig OG bit chassis more than ZZ SE's. Maybe this one will change my mind... probably not, but maybe.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

hue35 wrote:I still dig OG bit chassis more than ZZ SE's. Maybe this one will change my mind... probably not, but maybe.
werd.
same here, I'll never let my love for the OG bit go.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.