review: my dg master

Only topics reviewing or comparing tools, toys, etc. as well as resources such as parts lists, etc.
betty.k
bitPimp

review: my dg master

Post by betty.k »

i just got a couple shipped over from toyeast. one for me one for ph2t. ph2t's one came without a controller, still waiting for a reply! as mine was the only one that could be used i set about charging the internal (3 x 1/3 AAA) batts on my charger. they were taking 11ma and discharging 2ma! in layman's terms, they're fucked! talldude tells me his one won't take a charge either so i'm guessing these are ex demo or display stock.
the included charger is really good, takes either 6 AA's or a 7.2v input.
i did manage to get it to run for about 30 seconds stock, the steering was reacting kinda slow but that may have been the dead batts. it has about 7 - 8 steps of propo each way. the lights are cool, it has head, hazard and l/r indicator lights. when you turn the indicator on it blinks and automatically switches off when the turn is complete! :eek: coolness!!

i planned on using a 250mah lipo and iwaver pcb in it the whole time so i wasn't too worried about the electrics.
only prob is instead of a variable resistor in the servo they use some sorta rotary binary switch thingy, has 5 wires coming off it! so i had to modify an xmod pot to fit in it. i needed to do some chopping to fit in in as well. the servo motor is pretty weak too but the motor shaft is fatter than regular bit size motors so finding a replacement can be tricky. i was lucky that i had a motor from an old stunt twister that fit perfectly and had more power.
i also found that the iwaver servo motor is much better than the stock drive motor (same size). so it's a bit faster than a stock mini z now.

handling is really good, the suspension is simple but very effective. if anything i might make some slightly softer springs for the front.

once i swapped out the stock nimh batts (10.4g) with the lipo cll (5.5g) it became a little prone to flipping. the body is really thick pastic (around 2mm!) so some major weight saving, especially up high needed to be done.
i cut out the windows, removed all lights, removed the wing and ground out the insides with the rotary tool. i ground out the roof a lot and after all that i got it from 16.4g down to 10.2g. focusing on the "up top" weight made a big difference to handling, i can corner much harder now.

the whole thing weighed around 62g when i got it, after all that work it now weighs 49.4g! it's by far my most favourite micro at the moment :-o

i used to be cool
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

Thats one well wicked car dude. I am seriously in awe of your collection.
I've been trawling toyeast, but can't seem to find these, what are their names?

can i ask how you came across your zipzaps monster, and how much it cost in shipping to Oz? i want me one of them suckers!
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
"Nope, just regular kind"
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

Hey BK sweet ride what is the size of it Lenght and width? I wonder if an Epoch pot and PCB could be used on it?
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

at toyeast they're called "think happy" dg master.
http://www.toyeast.com/v2/prodlist.asp?catid=1673

as for zz's or any radio shack stuff, i get some merikan pimps to go shopping for me. or try ebay.
i used to be cool
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

not sure what a epoch is like, but this is what they use as a servo pot:
it's called a rotary binary switch. so it's not compatible with analogue pcb's like i wavers. i had to use an xmod pot and modify it so it looked like that. i swear, it's some of the most delicate hacking i've done! :lol:

dimensions with body on:
length: 103mm
width: 46mm
height: 32mm
i used to be cool
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Well looking at that pot I don’t think the Epoch pot will work without a lot of modification! My hats of to ya BK that looks like a real job to get that modified!!!

Millimeters Friggen Australians and their meters and millimeters!!! :lol:
My other hangout! R7R
sat4life27
bitPimp

Post by sat4life27 »

That is the same thing I did bettyk, I used part a axle shaft from a bit and a xmod pot. Can you get me vid of it in action? I started this project awhilie back and stopped after i got the idea of putting the pcb in a zap.

This is how I did mine. Removed the stock shaft for the gear and put the axle shaft in its place.

Then flipped the xmod pot around and glued it in place.

Great work man, I like it alot. Makes we want to finish this one up.
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

steelwoolghandi wrote:Millimeters Friggen Australians and their meters and millimeters!!! :lol:
HEY!!! we bajans take offense to that too :blazin: .

JK

Great looking RC and a mighty fine job on the modding.

Peace from 'little england'
Maxx
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Those are identical to the Radio Shack 1/43 Corvettes... They are quite fast, and handle great. I love mine, but didn't seem to have the CG issues as betty did. The Corvette body isn't that thick though.....

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i probably wouldn't have any issues if i left it stock and drove on a smooth surface. but going fast outdoors every little bit helps!

i never thought to replace the shaft in the servo, i just completely disassembled the xmod pot, ground it right down flat and cut a groove in it for the servo to mate with it.

sat, you may have issues fitting the servo back in with the pot sticking out like that, there's a pillar that sits right behind the pot in the chassis. but definately finish it, it's a great fun micro.
Millimeters Friggen Australians and their meters and millimeters!!!
surely you can find a mm - cubits converter on the web :lol: fricken cavemen!
Last edited by betty.k on Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i used to be cool
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

surely you can find a mm - cubits converter on the web fricken cavemen!
I would come up with a good reply BK but I have to go out now and kill my dinner!

My other hangout! R7R
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

45tr0 wrote:can i ask how you came across your zipzaps monster, and how much it cost in shipping to Oz? i want me one of them suckers!
:-)

I was going to order a DG with my last ToyEast order, but ended up passing on it. :-(

Looks like your making the best of one. :-o
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

sg219 - dude, why the quote? can you help a brother out? either that or your little waving smiley is mockin! and we aussies dont take kindly to mockin! :?
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
"Nope, just regular kind"
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Sorry, I was gonna PM you, then I got sidetracked.

I sure can help.

You want a monster?

You got PayPal?

You have a home addy?

Just PM me with what you want and we'll work something out. :-)