The DC Mod

Only topics reviewing or comparing tools, toys, etc. as well as resources such as parts lists, etc.
crazydave
bitPimp

The DC Mod

Post by crazydave »

What it is
The DC Mod is brought to us by Codesuidae. You can read all about it at his website, http://codesuidae.net/ , but I'm gonna try to summarize here.

First thing we need to know in order to understand this mod, is that the Zip Zap SE pulses the current to the motor. The number of times that the motor pulses within a specified time is the Duty Cycle. Even at full throttle SEs are still pulsing the throttle, and limiting power to the motor. The earlier ones ran at an atrocious 30% Duty Cycle, which meant the motor is actually off 70% of the time. The most recent versions of the SE have a greatly improved 55% Duty Cycle, which with the SE's 2.4v power source puts it about on track with an OG Zip Zap, which is good thing, but there's lots of room for improvement, and that's where the DC Mods steps in.

The DC Mod is a chip that intercepts the signal from the "black blob" and converts the Duty Cycle to 100% at full throttle. Effectively delivering the full 2.4v from the battery and making it perform very much like a dual cell car

The car with the mod istalled. Notice its conveniently out of the way on top of the motor.

Installation
The DC Mod is a fairly simple operation, if you've had experience working on these tiny PCBs. It involves the removal of one resistor, and the hook up of 4 wires.

Code includes installation instructions on his website, and I opted to install it myself, but Code does offer an installation service for a very reasonable fee. If you’re at all uncomfortable performing this mod your car, this may be the way to go. I have personally had a lot of bad experiences with SEs mysteriously dying, and this one was no exception. I am baffled how I managed to short something out the first time I installed it, but that just goes to show that if even if your confident with your skills, there is a always a certain level of risk involved if you're not careful.

After reviving my car I was able to get it working the second time. While the car worked, the mod didn't seem to function at first, but Code informed me that later model SEs require pins 3 and 4 jumpered and that solved the problem.

I made up this basic installation diagram, for those of us that benefit from basic diagrams.

NOTE: This diagram is for a FET modded car. A car without FETs requires a resistor.I need to find out where so I can update my diagram.

Performance
Once I got it working and I pulled the throttle, I immediately heard that familiar whine of a motor being pushed by 2.4 volts, and I knew it was good. On the ground the car performed very much like an old school dual cell Zip Zap, except it is a heavier car, so it throws its weight around quite bit more. The 5 step throttle being spread out over the greater range of speed kind of limits the amount of control you have, but still gives you quite bit more control than single speed RC.

It seems to help with steering jitters at full speed. Code says this is an unintentional side effect, and doesn't happen with all cars. I think because I installed this in a GTO chassis, with the steering nearly fixed to begin with, that helped out quite a bit.

While the car is smooth at full throttle you can still hear the motor buzz at the slowest speeds. This doesn’t really bother me, but I thought it worth noting.

Overall it is a bit of a squirrelly ride, but what a blast it is.

Check out the video I made to get an idea of how the Duty Cycle effects the performance of the car.

SE Shootout

3:30 minute
7MB WMV

(**Note: This video is not meant to be an end all comparison. The faster cars were handicapped inthe smaller running area, and are both new to me. The video does however show an improvement from car to car, and that's all that is intended.)

Bottom Line
When the news of the Zip Zap SE hit, lots of people got excited, "Could it be true, a fully proportional, reasonably priced, 1/64th scale RC?", and I think in many peoples eyes, Radio Shack clearly dropped the ball. Left us all disappointed, and scrambling for a better option.

Those of you that have already gone the route of installing an Iwaver PCB in your SE, may not have much to get excited about. I would have to guess that you'd feel limited having 1/100th of the steps in control that you're used to, but for the rest of us that were looking for an inexpensive easy way to unlock the potential of the SE, I believe we now have our answer.

This mod makes the SE a truly fun car, despite the inherent drawbacks of the SE, but that is not to say Code is done yet. Code mentioned to me future projects involving upping the PWM (Pulse wave Modulation) to something faster than 100hz, to help with the buzzing. He also mentioned converting some of the reverse steps to forwards, giving 9 steps forwards and one reverse. That is something I'd really like to see, but it does add some difficulty to the mod.

I'd like to commend Code for the work he's done, and for doing it at a reasonable price point. I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.
Last edited by crazydave on Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

You know I gots ta get me one of them fools!

Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Hmmm, DC Cab, DC Mod... just aint quite the same... but nice try though. :-)

So I'm taking it then that no one else cares? :???:

Alrighty then, I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I think about spending all week to put together an in depth write up with video and the whole bit. (What a fucking waste of a week :roll:)
crazydave's Gallery
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Nah, screw that man - I've got plenty of posts with little replies, but it's there in case anyone needs to know about it.
Remember, not everyone reading this is gonna be a registered user able to make a post. Watch, I bet this'll get the action it deserves.
Oh, and the diagram kicks ass. Don't know why good lookin, clearly explaining graphics are so hard to come by.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Yeah, you know the last thing I want is to come off like a pissy baby. I'm just frustrated because everytime someone mentions some X-Tech thingy, that's not out yet, not available in our country, and mostly we know nothing about it, everybody gets all excited. This aint no fairy tale, this is here and available. Get excited people. This is news!

... and thanks, I was proud of my diagram. I always just make the diagram I wish was made for me, the way I understand things.
crazydave's Gallery
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

Dont be put off CD!

I'm only new to all this, and ZZ's, (SE or otherwise) are hard to come by in this neck of the woods. For me right now, dual cells is a big undertaking and replacing f*#ked steering wires scares the bejeezus out of me.

But like the others it's an interesting article, and give me a few months of soldering practice and some zz's to kill, and im sure they all will come in handy.

Thanks for taking the time and effort!
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
"Nope, just regular kind"
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

awwww cry me a river why don't ya! :lol:

don't sweat it, the fact that there's no responses means you've covered all the bases, you didn't leave anyone wanting more! :-)
i used to be cool
Finks
bitPimp

Post by Finks »

Best Tutorial/comparison EVER!!!!!!!!

Well ok maybe I'm being a bit over zealous but still. Now is it just me or did the 1st Gen SE handle the track better? Are you saying a DC mod is for wide open spaces SEs?

Bottom line, I have an assload of SEs and once I'm finally settled at the new house and modding again this is for sure on my list of shit to do. Thanks CD! :-o

Oh and you are a cry baby, but at least your a smart fucker and an ingenious painter ta boot :lol:
Suck My Bits
:twisted:©2005 Finks fucked your girlfriend in highschool inc
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

Nice write up... and, I agree with Cabo, nice diagram.

I like the sounds of giving up some of the reverse steps to make the acceleration curve smoother... it sounds like this mod is only going to get better.

So, how would you rate the difficulty of the installation, say, compared to putting FETs in an OG Bit? I haven't done a damn thing to an SE, except call it names and laugh at it's ability to suck ass like a dime store hooker (who could suck-start a Harley, if she wanted). $7 extra bucks seems totally reasonable for a complete installation... but I'm up for breakin' some shit, if it's not much more difficult than a FET mod.

Oh, and wait until Payaso sees them drivin' skills... I have a feeling "it's on!"
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Yeah, I'm a bitch, but I got your guys' attention didn't I? :lol:

45tr0 wrote:Thanks for taking the time and effort!
That's all I was looking for. Yeah, I do this for attention, but I got other stuff I can do for that, I do this mostly cause I like to share.

Anyways, sorry, bad day at work, I'm better now. :-o
Finks wrote:Now is it just me or did the 1st Gen SE handle the track better? Are you saying a DC mod is for wide open spaces SEs?
See that's what I was afraid the video would show, but that not really the case. The cars handled the track equally well at the same speeds, but I wanted to also show top speed, and everytime I nailed it it, I'd flip the faster cars. Partly due to the track having a tendency to flip cars, and a lot to do with I'm not used to driving them. Been driving that 1st generation one for almost 2 years now (Its died twice), so I'm used to it.

I was getting some laps in with the Vette with camera off. Figures.

hue35 wrote:I like the sounds of giving up some of the reverse steps to make the acceleration curve smoother... it sounds like this mod is only going to get better.
Yeah me too, but that adds difficulty to installation, and since I'm guessing most people have him do it, I would have to guess he's not looking forward to that. Maybe if more of us install the mod ourselves, without killing our cars, then he'll be more likely to work on that. ;) ;)
...but I'm just guessing.

So, how would you rate the difficulty of the installation, say, compared to putting FETs in an OG Bit?
It's much simplier than a FET mod. I think I'm just jinxed with SEs. :-(

There is an extra resistor to add in a stock, unfetted car, I guess, I should check with him on that, so I can fix my diagram. :???:
crazydave's Gallery
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

Great review CD! I think im gonna pick me up one of these when i get paid next week.

Again a very well put together review thanks for taking the time convinced me to get one :-o