tx shootout: iwaverII vs futaba 2pl

Only topics reviewing or comparing tools, toys, etc. as well as resources such as parts lists, etc.
betty.k
bitPimp

tx shootout: iwaverII vs futaba 2pl

Post by betty.k »

i like to keep it simple so most of my rc stuff is 27mhz am.
so everything i run (rc's with iw pcb's, mro2, epoch, hpi rs4 rally, hpi rs4 mt) i would control with my i waver II tx. it has enough adjustments and settings for what i do.

but the range when running my 1:10 stuff was pretty average, maybe 50 ft of clear range.
so i decided to get a better quality tx to use as my main controller and decided to go with a futaba 2pl. (jamie hyneman says futaba is the shiznit, and he would know!)

this is the tx that iw modelled the electronics for on their mkII.
came with a pair of crystals, a nice small rx (r142je), 2 servos (s3003), rx batt case, switches, leads and even a cool little flag for the tx aerial with the frequency printed on :eek:

there are differences though.
the 2pl won't work on first gen iw pcb's.
it will work with 2nd gen iw pcb's but it's not smooth and pulses. does the same with the servo motor which weakens the already pissweak steering even further.
won't work with my epoch all the time.

but it WILL work with a kyosho pcb (mr02 in my case) really well, better range, less glitching.
and now i can drive my 1:10's out of sight! :-o

there are a few other subtle differences.

the 2pl never pretends to be a 3 ch tx, there's no "ch3" adjustments or switch.

on the 2pl, adjusting the left end point adjusts the left turn end point regardless of whether the servo reverse setting is on or off. on the iwII reversing the servo also reversed the epa. real confusing! :?

the 2pl only has a steering dualrate switch. the iwII has steering and throttle dual rate switches.

the abs brake feature on the 2pl actually works! :eek: not only that it's adjustable! (fast, medium, slow)

the 2pl's battery tray doesn't seem to be removable. it might be but i'm not gonna force it!

and the 2pl doesn't have a blinding blue light or forget my settings!

so there ya go. it's better for some things and worse for others. so i gotta live with 2 tx's for my hobby grade stuff. i'm not too fussed, at least everything works correctly now. it's fun to be able to run my mt all over my local sporting oval/park without having to move. my only prob now is it goes so far i can't see or hear it! :lol:

for anyone interested, here's my opinion of the iwII tx:
http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpFo ... php?t=5239
i used to be cool
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

Thanx betty,

I was planning on buying one of these next year when i start building my MRS4 kit. It never occured to me that I could use an iW Tx tho :???:. Good thing, I would've probly short changed myslef if I did according to you.

would the iW tx be the cheaper option? Plus you get an RTR car.
I never really thought of the whole "single Tx" thing, did it with my bits. but I guess I'm still a newbie :-? .

Thanx for the reviews :-)

Maxx
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

the 2pl's battery tray doesn't seem to be removable. it might be but i'm not gonna force it!
i have one of the older magnums, and this seems to be of a similar design , so after a while the batt tray for mine does come out, and you have to re-route all the wires and everything just to get it in.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

maxx: the iwII would be a cheaper option but you get what you pay for, the range won't be great. i've never used my iwII amongst a group of other drivers using quality tx's like 1:10 racing f'rinstance, mainly because i would expect a lot of glitching.

evo: i have a megatech futaba tx which has an easily removeable but still hardwired batt tray. i'm pretty sure you have to disassemble the 2pl to get the batt tray out.
i used to be cool