I'm goin' Plastidipin'...

Only topics reviewing or comparing tools, toys, etc. as well as resources such as parts lists, etc.
sg219
bitPimp

I'm goin' Plastidipin'...

Post by sg219 »

Since building Prometheus, I've been in and out of alot of H2O, and I've noticed spots of rust and corrosion on and around the truck.

I can't have that!!

My first problem to tackle is the highly corrosive batteries.

I went online and did a search for some type of coating that I can use and that wouldn't affect the properties of the batteries. ie.cooling, heating, breathing, charging, discharging...

Some of you may be familiar with what I used, but some, if not most, may not be.

I found...

PlastiDip

Its a liquid plastic that you can dip items into and create a stong, colorful, tough, waterproof coating on!!

Its simple to use. Just DIP IT!!

As some may know, I am crazy about my GREEN.

Well, the only size they had avalible in green was a ONE gallon can for almost $50 USD!! Way too much!

So what I ended up doing was to think back to about 2nd or third grade and I remembered that YELLOW and BLUE make GREEN!!!

I bought a small can of yellow, a small can of blue, and a small can of clear to increase the volume. It came to about $35 shipped and arrived in less than a week!!

I then needed an AIR TIGHT container to mix and store this all in. IMPORTANT: Must be airtight!!

I set up an area for the batteries to hang out and dry. I just zip tied them to a string. If you have hooks, that would be easier.

I only applied one coat. If you wanted to do more coats, is OK, but I think more is totally unnessasary, approx 30 minutes between coats. According to the instructions, approx 4 hours of drying time is needed till useable.

Here's what went down...

hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

Cool, man... I just used Plasti Dip a few months ago to rubberize some sharp parts on a furniture dolly. I was pretty impressed with how well it worked. Dig the green you mixed... I've only seen it in Red and Black.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

hue35 wrote:Cool, man... I just used Plasti Dip a few months ago to rubberize some sharp parts on a furniture dolly. I was pretty impressed with how well it worked. Dig the green you mixed... I've only seen it in Red and Black.
Ya, I HAD to have green. :lol:

They only sell the green in 1 gallon cans and that $50+S&H. :o

I plan on doing my servo's and then ballooning my RX and then dipping it!! :-o

Bird gave me the idea for the RX. Its deticated to the truck, so dipping it won't be an issue.

I have an H2O proof ESC, so everything will be good to go real soon.