Alternative to Dupont Reg. Color Changing Paint?

Got a question about painting or decals? Using an air brush or rattle cans? Wanna learn how to paint flames and take a good picture of it? It's all in here.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Alternative to Dupont Reg. Color Changing Paint?

Post by CaboWabo »

I went to the hobby shop today and saw this awesome model, painted in what I thought was the Dupont Registry million dollars an oz. stuff, it looked beautiful changing from dark metallic purple, to dark metalic blue...

I found out what was used for the paint, nail polish! With lots, and lots of clear coat.
Whaa? But now I'm gonna have to start shopping in the perfume and nail polish section of a store! lol

I'll try to remember to bring my camera and snap a pic next time I go in.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
noxorc
bitPimp

Post by noxorc »

I tried Nail Polish... chrome

http://www.tinyrc.com/forums/showthread ... eadid=8227

it does chip over time....(only if you crash your car...if it sits on a shelf, it's a beautie)

-nox
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

kick ass, looks good, clear coat should help make that last longer dont ya think?
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
noxorc
bitPimp

Post by noxorc »

I've never tried clear coat... I dunno..

I'm sure someone else in here has....
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

yea me, and it does on my stuff - plus it helps hide brush strokes, I'm sure it would for nail polish too, you should try it next time you do a nail polish paint job.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

anyone ever tried running this stuff through your air brush? the nail polish that is?
noxorc
bitPimp

Post by noxorc »

CaboWabo wrote:yea me, and it does on my stuff - plus it helps hide brush strokes, I'm sure it would for nail polish too, you should try it next time you do a nail polish paint job.
do you paint it on? or spray? (the clear coat)
kwikbb
bitPimp

Post by kwikbb »

sexy beast! i gotta really get myself an S2K body now... feelin' kinda left out :cry: :lol:
:rockon:
z-beam
bitGangsta'

Post by z-beam »

i used the unthinned harlequin nail polish on a celica( after a quick lesson off one of the shop staff, it helped so much). i used a clear shell and coated the inside and then went over the polish with black. best finsh i've ever seen, and no chipping!!!