Paints: Acrylic, Enamel, Laquer (and a knife fight)

Got a question about painting or decals? Using an air brush or rattle cans? Wanna learn how to paint flames and take a good picture of it? It's all in here.
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

crazydave wrote:but notice it does say laquer-based. That's why it's not reccomened to mix brands, besides types. They all have their own little formulas.
See, I would take that to mean that it is lacquer-based, so don't use enamel reducer to thin it, use lacquer thinner. Just like you'd use water to thin a water-based acrylic. I think the important thing is, like you said above, the solvent... You don't wanna mix enamel with lacquer, or either with water... but all three are thinners for their respective paint bases/solvents.
Last edited by hue35 on Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

This is the wrong thread to get into it, and I need to run out the door right now, but i don't think anyone here has the right answer yet. The airbrush world is different than the rattle-can world when it comes to the word "acrylic". When I say acrylic, I'm talking about water-based vs. solvent (enamel or laquer) based. Most hobby stores have a whole section of paint that they call "acrylic", and they are paints you thin with water or alcohol. Let's take this discussion to the appropriate forum and get to the bottom of it.
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

i think us rattle can guys and you airbrush guys should rumble. knives and chains.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

hogjowlz wrote:i think us rattle can guys and you airbrush guys should rumble. knives and chains.
How about just our respective tools and lighters?
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Sorry, that got out of hand real quick, didn't mean for that to happen.

Now I know what you're talking about, but see how that can get confusing. I didn't realize people were using water based acrylics. I don't get to any hobby stores.

Now lets get back to the contest, and save the airbrush vs rattle can debate for another day.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

am i the only one with that knife fight scene from "beat it" in my head?
i used to be cool
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Ok, now I'm frustrated. I go back to Reranch, and they got new message board software since I've been there. The great post with all the technical info can't be found, but then while I'm doing me seach I see several people refer to Acrylics and Enamels in the same sentence.

So apparently even the guitar refinishing forums have started just using Acrylic as a generic term, and I know they're not talking abou the water based stuff in the hobby store. So apparently I'm the only one that has a problem with that.

So I guess I am sorry that I'm so sensitive, and Supefly, sorry man you're that last one I wanted to make an example of, it's just that if I'd like to be the same page with someone, then you'd be one of them.

BUT, am I really wrong. If everyone uses acrylic as a generic term, doesn't it get confusing? I think it does, and I will stand behind that.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

I don't think you're wrong, Dave, and I don't really know the true answer. I was using the term like saying kleenex instead of facial tissue. I'll do a little digging and see if I can find any information on what's what.

Believe me, I completely understand where you're coming from. I too hate when people use the wrong word to describe something, even when both of us know what they really mean.
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

when i was laying down an epoxy sealant on some tables once . the directiond stated that it was likely that bubbles would be included in the mix. it stated that the best way to remove these was by blowing carbon dioxide across the surface. the simplest source of carbon dioxide is you! try blowing across the surface with a straw, it worked like magic with the epoxy. dunno if it's the same deal with acrylics but can't hurt to try.
i used to be cool
HirotoR34
bitPimp

Post by HirotoR34 »

I hope to get an airbrush kit for the upcoming 32nd b day. But in the meantime, I've been trying out Tamiya lacquer and clear. It gives you a nice even spray, and great color. Plus you can use acrylics and decals for details and then clear over the whole thing. The only thing that sucks is that my LHS won't carry it or order it, so online is my only option.

Color Chart

They have regular clear, and coming soon, pearlescent clear