How to apply waterslide decals...

Got a question about painting or decals? Using an air brush or rattle cans? Wanna learn how to paint flames and take a good picture of it? It's all in here.
sg219
bitPimp

How to apply waterslide decals...

Post by sg219 »

How do you apply the decals you sent me Cabo?

I tried a couple, but before I fuck anymore up, I need some help.

Plus, it'll make for a good topic. :-o
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i usually float them face up in a dish of water for about 30 seconds. grab it out with some tweezers and between 2 fingers slide the decal off the backing a little. then hold the backing with tweezers and holding it on the surface to be decaled, hold the decal in position with your finger and slide the backing out slowly. you can fine tune the position after it's applied.
i used to be cool
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

I let the decal sit in lukewarm water for about 30 secs, then I lift it out with tweezers and set it on a paper towel to blot excess moisture. Then I use a small paintbrush (one that I only use in water, not one that has been in spirit-based stuff) instead of my finger to slide it off. Get a little drop of water on the car first so you can move the decal around a little for positioning. Then take the brush and push any air bubbles out, starting in the center and working your way to the edges. Then let that shit dry without fiddling with it. They look not so great until they dry, and then they should look like they were painted on when they're dry if you did it right.

Is there a specific problem you're having?
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

SuperFly wrote:Is there a specific problem you're having?
Yep, just getting them off the backing in one piece.

I think this should help.

I wasn't letting them in the water long enough either.

Thanks!! :-)

This helps alot. :-o
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

sg219 wrote:
SuperFly wrote:Is there a specific problem you're having?
Yep, just getting them off the backing in one piece.

I think this should help.

I wasn't letting them in the water long enough either.

Thanks!! :-)

This helps alot. :-o
After you get it out of the water, yeah go ahead and use your finger to slide the decal about 1/64" off the backing. Then grab the exposed backing with your tweezers, and put the little edge of the decal that's hanging off on the car. then use the brush (or your finger or a Q-tip, whatever) and gently hold the decal in place and pull the paper out from under it slowly. You want that action to be kinda smooth so you don't get wrinkles or air bubbles.

If you leave it in the water long enough, it should just be kinda floating on the backing paper.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I've developed an alternate method for the tiny decals we use for bits.

I quickly dip the decal in water. That should pull a drop out with it. I then plop it on the car right next to where I'm gonna place it, and give it a sec for the drop of water to soak in. Then I use a toothpick to pull the decal off the paper and position it. Once in position, I dab with a dry q-tip to remove with excess water.

With cabo's decals be very careful not to use too much water. I had some problems with the ink bleeding, but the bleeds cleaned right up with a damp q-tip.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

crazydave wrote:With cabo's decals be very careful not to use too much water. I had some problems with the ink bleeding, but the bleeds cleaned right up with a damp q-tip.
The thing about the homebrew decals is you need to make sure they get a good solid clearcoat on them after they come out of the printer, and you can't trim right to the edge of the printed area, you need to leave at least a couple millimeters of clear between the printed stuff and where you cut.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

crazydave wrote:I've developed an alternate method for the tiny decals we use for bits.

I quickly dip the decal in water. That should pull a drop out with it. I then plop it on the car right next to where I'm gonna place it, and give it a sec for the drop of water to soak in. Then I use a toothpick to pull the decal off the paper and position it. Once in position, I dab with a dry q-tip to remove with excess water.

With cabo's decals be very careful not to use too much water. I had some problems with the ink bleeding, but the bleeds cleaned right up with a damp q-tip.

same exact way for me too...

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I'll try putting some on tonight.

:-o
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

crazydave wrote:I've developed an alternate method for the tiny decals we use for bits.

My Method Exactly 8-)
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I finally got around to trying the waterslides that CW and Betty sent me.

After 5 or 6 tries, I got a couple of CW's to work. They kept cracking on me. :-?

I did get better as I went on. :-o

The ones Betty sent me I couldn't get to work. They kept bleeding on me. Then when I went to remove the decal, it would smear. :-(

Got any more of those Ausmicro decals Betty?
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I rip decals all the time. I just align the two halfs all perfect like, and when you clear coat you can't see it.

As far as the bleeding, you know I had the same problem with Cabo's. Did you do like Superfly said, and leave a couple mm of clear around the print? :???:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Yes. I left a little border around them.

It seems like no matter what approach I took, I still had problems.

Clumsy hands don't help either. :lol:

Practice, practice, practice. :-o
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

it's been a while but from memory (hahahaha!) those decals i sent weren't sealed. so extra care is needed to avoid water getting on the surface.
why they break i'm not sure, maybe you gotta soak em longer? i usually drop one in the water and cut out the next while i'm waiting, sometimes takes a minute.
i'll have a look in my decal bag and get back to ya.
i used to be cool
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I'll try again. :-o

I'm a little upset I ruined my ONLY BruceMicro decal. I was also attempting to put the flaming skulls on the hood and it was almost in place and....KABAM!!!! I fucked it up. :-(

I'm currently hookin' up my new Mini-LST!! :greenblob: