Lexan abuse...

Got a question about painting or decals? Using an air brush or rattle cans? Wanna learn how to paint flames and take a good picture of it? It's all in here.
sg219
bitPimp

Lexan abuse...

Post by sg219 »

I just painted 2 peices of lexan, just minutes ago.

One was a HPI MRS4 BMW and the other was a Losi Mini-T H2.

The HPI I screwed up because of a bad can of paint. I think it looks like crap the way it turned out. I just had to do the best I could after the fact. :x

Then I cut it out. It took me all of 5 minutes to do it. The pre-cut wheels are the best thing in the world! However, it still looks like I used leftover rattle cans to paint it.

Then the Losi lexan just plain sucks ______!!!! Flimsy and thin lexan and NO protective plastic. I messed it up by moving the masking to soon. :x

I didn't cut this out yet. I'm still going to try to save it. It still looks pretty decent. But I'm not done yet, so I can still screw it up more.

These were only my 2nd and 3rd lexans I've ever painted, so I'll just consider them learning tools. :idea:

You'll see pics of them in time. :wink:
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Eh? You're painting then trimming the bodies out of the mold?
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I paint the lexan and then cut and trim them out after the paint dries.

Is that what you mean? :???:

Mold?
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Yea, that's what I mean.
Mold, I believe - though I could be wrong, is the proper term for the plastic shell that is un-cut.

Can I ask why you choose to do paint and then cut it out? I was always under the impression it was better to cut out your body and then mask and paint. Or does it not really matter?
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I don't think it matters much.

I've read where some people do it before and some people after.

I haven't tried to cut then paint yet. Maybe on the next one.

I like to cut it out after, becuse the extra lexan gives you room to tape off anything you may be doing. Like if your shell doesn't have a protective outer coating. You will need to mask off the outside of the body to avoid overspray.

If you cut it out first, there isn't any room to place the masking tape to avoid the actual painting surface on the inside.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

I think you're right. Thinking way, way back - I kinda remember doing one my 1:10 bodies like that.
But I also remember doing others with them already cut out, so I wasn't sure which was more favorable if either.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i've only done 2 myself and both times i cut the body after painting. worked ok for me :-o
i used to be cool
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I think its all up to the individual. :-o

I beleive Ripper7 cuts his out first. :???:

Edit: Yes he does.

http://ripper7racing.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=458
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

sg219 wrote:I think its all up to the individual. :-o

I beleive Ripper7 cuts his out first. :???:

Edit: Yes he does.

http://ripper7racing.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=458

I cut mine first as well..... It just seems to yeild better results for me.
http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpFo ... php?t=5560

As for some bodies not coming with a protective coating on the outside, plastic wrap for food, and a hair dryer will take care of that.

The reason I cut first, and paint second is that you can't fit the body on the chassis to see where the hell the holes are going. Real pain for me.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

payaso wrote:As for some bodies not coming with a protective coating on the outside, plastic wrap for food, and a hair dryer will take care of that.
Hmmm...:???: Good idea. How well does it work? Ease of doing it right? (A.K.A. ME not fuckin' it up method.)
payaso wrote:The reason I cut first, and paint second is that you can't fit the body on the chassis to see where the hell the holes are going. Real pain for me.

If your talking about body mounts, a lot, if not most lexan come with dimples.

If you mean holes for Nitro rides, like engine and pull start holes, then I just draw a general shape/spot on the protective coating before I paint it and then cut it out after and adjust the size as I feel nessasary as I cut. The lines disappear with the coating. :-o
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Naw, I mean for the body holes and such cause you know me, I almost never get the body that's intended for the truck....lol

Proline bodies don't have the dimple on the monster trucks. I think it's cause they're universal for the Savage,Maxx line, MGT, Ect..

The food wrap is easy to do. It's just like the 3M window treatment. Just loosley wrap the body, and hit with the dryer...

You can always just slap a coat of liquid mask over the whole body inside, and out. it dries clear too. Just make sure you don't do it too thin, cause it's harder to peel off.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

payaso wrote:Naw, I mean for the body holes and such cause you know me, I almost never get the body that's intended for the truck....lol
Never thought about the dimples being model specific. Da....:?
payaso wrote:The food wrap is easy to do. It's just like the 3M window treatment. Just loosley wrap the body, and hit with the dryer...
I will DEFINATLELY try it.:-o

payaso wrote:You can always just slap a coat of liquid mask over the whole body inside, and out. it dries clear too. Just make sure you don't do it too thin, cause it's harder to peel off.

I need a bigger bottle of mask. :lol:

The I have is enough to do a few thousand bits, but only about one lexan if I'm lucky.

There are certain levels of modding that I'm still only set up for bits. :cool: