Painting Strippers???

Got a question about painting or decals? Using an air brush or rattle cans? Wanna learn how to paint flames and take a good picture of it? It's all in here.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Finally remembered this thread while I was at a store, got a 1oz container Goo Gone. Dumped Goo Gone and ZZ (DragonSlayer Hmmv) in a Ziplock, hung with a clamp from my desk so body would stay submerged in liquid.

:-?

After more 2 days of sitting in Goo Gone, there has been NO change to the ZZ paint. Though I can say it IS very well degreased.

May work Bit; not on Zip.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

frizzen wrote:Finally remembered this thread while I was at a store, got a 1oz container Goo Gone. Dumped Goo Gone and ZZ (DragonSlayer Hmmv) in a Ziplock, hung with a clamp from my desk so body would stay submerged in liquid.

:-?

After more 2 days of sitting in Goo Gone, there has been NO change to the ZZ paint. Though I can say it IS very well degreased.

May work Bit; not on Zip.
Easy off oven cleaner just use in a well vented room. it also removes chrome. :-o
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I knew about that being able to strip chrome, but didn't want to risk a body without knowing how it reacts. So, Easy Off actually *will* strip the ZZ paint, *without* body damage?

How long does it like to soak before you hit it with a toothbrush/water?
-
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

I sometimes have to spray a body a couple of times esp when you have the body lines to get rid of. I check on the body about every 4 Hours after a spray if left long enough it will damage the plastic so just keep an eye on it thru the whole process.

I have also been told (model mags and such) that brake fluid works well too but I would try that on something you dont mind gettting messed up.
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
Nasphere
bitNinja

Post by Nasphere »

sat4life27 wrote:I have used non acitone fingernail polish remover with some sucess. If you use it with cottonballs or something it will take the paint off. Just try not to get it on the windows because it will cause them to haze up. I would also rinse it with water right after you get the paint off, it might harm the plasic if left on too long.
I double what he says. Although I've not had any windows haze up, nor have I tried it on Zip Zaps.. It works great on bits though! :-o

sat4life, I think maybe your remover has a small content of acitone in it causing a little damage to the windows.. I know mine said acitone free and it worked awesome!
Whack!
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Just wanted to post an update.

"Non-Acetone Nail Polish Remover" DOES strip ZZ paint.

I used the Meijer store generic.

It's got a lot of ingredients: ethyl acetate, alcohol, water, propylene carbonate, dimethyl gulterate, dimethyl succinate, dimethyl adipate, glycerine, gelatin, fragrance, isopropyl alcohol, bezophenone-1, castor oil, denatonium benzoate, d&c red no. 17, d&c yellow no. 11.
--But a lot of those, don't really do anything for stripping.

And it's like absurdly flammible! :-o
-
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

this is more of a what-not-to-do post.
I tryed to use Polly S Easy Lift Off, with DISASTUROUS results. I did test it on the spidey H1 ZZMT body, it hardly did much but it was working a little at a time.
When I tryed it on a Herbie ........ :sad: .................. :sad:
I tried to save him, I did all that I could, rinsing with water, started cleaning, scrubing...........I felt the life going out of it's body :sad:

give me a moment please...... :crybad:
well, I should have read a little more, and tested a little more :-(

What a waste........it actually crystalized the inside plastic body

wel, maybe a little CA, ok a lot of CA, will put Humpty Dumpty together again :???:

Aint't nothing but a challenge! :)
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Wow. That kind of incident is why I started this thread, hoping to prevent that.

*moment of silence for the lost Beetle*

Good luck with the restoration, and maybe finish cutting the sunroof out the rest of the way
-