Painting Strippers???

Got a question about painting or decals? Using an air brush or rattle cans? Wanna learn how to paint flames and take a good picture of it? It's all in here.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Painting Strippers???

Post by frizzen »

Anybody know the correct paint stripping solvent to remove paint but not harm ZZ bodies?

I know that for most enamel and laquer on plastic bodies, CSC is the solvent of choice. It won't touch ZZ paint.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
mikirgra
bitThug

Post by mikirgra »

Ah man. I got all excited for nuthin. I thought you were gonna show us some pics of body paint on topless dancers. :-?
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I usually paint trees and landscapes, but I'll do a stripper if ya like. :-)

Ohhh, paint strippers, I get you. I never use them. I just carefully sand the old stuff. Taking time to clear out crevices, and details.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

I'm with dave. The one time I tried a paint stripper (brake fluid, which I read about either here or at Tiny) and totally destroyed 3 shells (2 of which were a Gloria and a Jota).

If you sand and prime before you paint, you don't need it.
sat4life27
bitPimp

Post by sat4life27 »

I have used non acitone fingernail polish remover with some sucess. If you use it with cottonballs or something it will take the paint off. Just try not to get it on the windows because it will cause them to haze up. I would also rinse it with water right after you get the paint off, it might harm the plasic if left on too long.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

I've used Easy-Off Oven Cleaner.
It's a pain in the ass, but works to a degree.

I'd go the sanding route.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

So there's nothing that really works? Even like 80% on the paint but not destroying the body?

Well fine, gonna be unhelpful like that and I won't show naked women in body paint.
-
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Dude, the Easy Off shit works, but it's a shit-ton of labor - it's not worth it at all. It's doo-doo.
You'd be wiser to invest your time in wet-sanding. Seriously. Do it.
You won't destroy the body with super fine grit sandpaper.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

I have used the Easy-Off method for de-chroming wheels. That's pretty cool, actually. The plastic that bit wheels are made from is usually either a bone-white color or black, which look cool on their own. But ya gotta strip the chrome off the wheels if you want paint to stick.

I will caution you that whatever you decide to do, test it on something you don't care about rather than your new superbit pullback shell.

:-|

I did manage to salvage my Jota (soon to be a GT40), but the Gloria and the ZZ Lancer were toast. The paint came off, but the plastic all turned a milky-white, windows included. Kind of a funny side note, I was so pissed I just threw the ZZ Lancer outside my back door on the path to my garage. Every now and then I would kick it on my way to the garage. It's been out there for at least 6 months now, still getting kicked up an down the walk.
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

Go to your local hobby shop and look for elo. It's a paint stripper for lexan bodies I think, can be found usually by the lexan paint cans. I've used it on many a zip. The key is to be patient with it. The way I do it is to soak the shell in the stuff, not emerse it, just douse it. Let it sit for like 15 minutes. Then I pour a lil into the cap and start on the shell with qtips dipped into the stuff. Then you rub the shell like crasy with the qtips. Average shell takes about 30-45 minutes of rubbing and whatnot to totally remove the paint. Then wash the shell with just ice cold water, I think it says to use warm soapy but that shit clouded a couple of my shits.
Becarefull ya don't leave the stuff on there too long cuase it will eat your shell. :-)
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

CaboWabo wrote:I'd go the sanding route.
me too...
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

Bird wrote:
CaboWabo wrote:I'd go the sanding route.
me too...
guess if remeber correctly thatd be three
[]D [] []V[] []D
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I figured sanding would be the way to go, I just wanted easy chemicals.

For being sorta helpful, you can have this. *work warning, don't scroll down*

But if there were a quick easy answer, the pic you asked for would have been a lot cooler.
-
MotorGong
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

frizzen wrote:But if there were a quick easy answer, the pic you asked for would have been a lot cooler.
I hope so, look at that fat ass!

Man, makin' the Pimps work for a painted body pic?
Shiat, I love these Pimps, they can have 'em for free. :cool:

I like this cutie..... ;-)
BattleField 2 Stats
"Please not in the fire's neighborhood, heat, that place the spirit swim to play or take care of." ...LxxChar-G Instruction Manual
mikirgra
bitThug

Post by mikirgra »

I've used Goo Gone liquid and Goo Gone gel on many bits and bit wheels. I let it soak in the stuff for a couple of hours, then have at it with a toothbrush. Works, and has not damaged any bodies or wheels yet.

I tried the Goo Gone Sticker Lifter once on a model, hoping that it would remove the decals and adhesive, but leave the paint alone. No dice. Stripped the paint off too.

Here are the products mentioned:

http://www.magicamerican.com/products_gg.shtml

Careful with ELO and other removers sold at your LHS. They WILL eat some bit bodies.

I've heard this Chameleon stuff is the shiznit. Model dudes swear by it. I've never read about it damaging any plastic. Good luck finding it in your LHS though.

http://www.chameleonproductsonline.com/ ... 8487993611

Happy stripping.