Masking tape goo Removal

Got a question about painting or decals? Using an air brush or rattle cans? Wanna learn how to paint flames and take a good picture of it? It's all in here.
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Masking tape goo Removal

Post by steelwoolghandi »

Ok I have been trying to find a safe way to remove the tape goo left behind I have tried different things and many of them remove some if my painted surface right along with the goo!

I found a cheap way to get it off and not ruin any paint I use baby oil it removes the goo does not fog up the window and will not remove the paint off your freshly painted bit!

Try it you will love it! :-o
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

good thinkin' bloke! :-o that's also how you get gum out of kids' hair too, but torment them with scissors anyway! makes em think about doing it again! :lol:

now that i think about it, olive oil comes from crushed olive seeds. so does that mean baby oil is......................... :shock:
i used to be cool
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

I use the same mask that I removed or some fresh tape, and dab the goo. The tape pulls it right off, no need to crush the babies :-) .

If that doesn't work, I use oil :-?

Maxx
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

I started using top-o-the-line tape (Tamiya), and it leaves nothing behind. I'll do a soft wipe down with a piece of an old T-shirt, damp with rubbing alcohol, between colors or before the clear coat. That masking tape goo is a thing of the past since I started using the good tape, though.
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

hue35 wrote:.... That masking tape goo is a thing of the past since I started using the good tape, though.
Same here, I went to the auto store and got some low-tack tape. Eversince the incident w/ my "Spring Break Supra". :sad: (RIP)
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Goo Gone ™ is some kick ass stuff for removing "goo", not "splooge".

I haven't tried it to remove goo over paint, so I'm not sure if it would damage the paint, but I'm thinking probably not.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

CaboWabo wrote:Goo Gone ™ is some kick ass stuff for removing "goo", not "splooge".

I haven't tried it to remove goo over paint, so I'm not sure if it would damage the paint, but I'm thinking probably not.
Be careful. I'm thinking probably.

That stuff is pretty similar to lighter fluid, which will remove paint.
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

SuperFly wrote:That stuff is pretty similar to lighter fluid, which will remove paint.
That's what I was thinkin'... the trick would be to gently wipe on a small amount of liquid and let it evaporate quickly... so, not too much and no hard rubbing. :oops:
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Are you sure you guys aren't thinking of nail polish remover or something? Because I'm not so sure Goo Gone and lighter fluid even share a single ingredient.

Anyways, here's a test with some Goo Gone.
A shot of the body before Goo Gone, during Goo Gone, and after Goo Gone. Look, no hazing, no paint stripping, it's all gravy. It didn't remove paint at all.

Remember, I put some Goo Gone on a paper towel and rubbed one out (yaw!), like you should.
Do not dip the whole damn car in a vat of Goo Gone and let is sit! Use your heads if you're gonna use this stuff.

P.S.
I only did the roof of the car as I don't want to remove my decals. But it confirms the test that this is probably safe to use on painted shells as long as you use common sense and the directions.

Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

CaboWabo wrote:Are you sure you guys aren't thinking of nail polish remover or something?
Yeah, now that you mention it, I think I was thinking of Goof Off, which is a totally different deal... it's a pretty harsh chemical. :? I'm reetarditt & stuff.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

hue35 wrote:Yeah, now that you mention it, I think I was thinking of Goof Off, which is a totally different deal... it's a pretty harsh chemical. :? I'm reetarditt & stuff.
Lol, me too. :fool:
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

Yah goo be gone is great you can soak a whole hot wheel package in it and it will just remove the glue holding the plastic dome on and not even mess the cardboard up!

The only reason I was recomending Baby Oil is that Goo be Gone is more expensive and Baby Oil is around the house most of the time.

As for Goof Off it will not only remove the paint it will melt the body and make the plastic cloudy! :-?
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

Not only baby oil but vegetable or corn oil works too. :-)
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

sessiz wrote:Not only baby oil but vegetable or corn oil works too. :-)

What about flavored butt lube? :???:

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Spring for the extra 65 cents and go Goo Gone. It rawks.