window scratches

Got a question about painting or decals? Using an air brush or rattle cans? Wanna learn how to paint flames and take a good picture of it? It's all in here.
breakyaface
bitHood

window scratches

Post by breakyaface »

Is there a way to remove or hide scratches that you made accidentily on the window of a car... I'd love to keep them (semi)transparent. Who know a solution. I first thought of a clear coat basecoat then a white basecoat and then my colours. And finish again with a clearcoat.

Is this a good way to do it? or is it impossible to hide scratches?
I'd rather fly than die
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

clear coat should cover all but the deepest scratches.
there is also a plastic polish available that wil remove finescratches, try an optomertrist (sp? eyeware joint!)

anyway, scratches aint always bad
i used to be cool
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

what betty said. Clearcoat usually takes care of it pretty well. If you let it cure for a couple weeks, you can then rub out the clear with a polishing compound, or my favorite, "Brasso" metal polish. Works great for restoring clear plastic.
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

Get a 2 sided , 4 grade nail filer/buffer from the dollar store. It has a coarse grit, fine grit, a smooth ultrafine grit, and a buffing pad. It will get out the deepest scratches. I made a deep cut with an Xacto in the windshield of a convertable I was making, I used this which left the windshield a lil cloudy, but after the clear coat, the cut was totally undetectable!
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

I use a product called Nova its a scratch remover made just for plastic. It was used to get rid of scratches in the tops of Pinball machines but many a scale model builder uses it for their cars.

I have used it on plastic headlights, my Ferrari I built due to sanding the windows, and for models works great!
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Deeper scratches I'll go over with something around 1000 grit, and then clear coat. What DT suggested would probably be a cheaper alternative, but I like to keep various grits of sandpaper around anyways.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"