Would this air compressor work for airbrushing?

Got a question about painting or decals? Using an air brush or rattle cans? Wanna learn how to paint flames and take a good picture of it? It's all in here.
crazydave
bitPimp

Would this air compressor work for airbrushing?

Post by crazydave »

I don't really know if you need anything special or if any air compressor will do, but this is one of the cheaper ones I've seen, and it has 230 PSI capability.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... ct_id=3992
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

Yeah, it would work fine. The only thing to consider is that it will be on constantly, since there isn't a tank... what a lot of airbrush guys do is fill up a large innertube and put a regulator on it... super quiet, and at the low (12-20 psi) pressure that you'll use, it will last a while before refills. You could use that compressor to fill an innertube, if noise is an issue for you... those things are pretty loud.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Cool thanks for the info.

So would there be any issues with it running constantly other than the noise?

... and what's an inner tube and regulator gonna run me? Do you mean like a car inner tube, or a large bike one? (Sorry, I'm clueless about this stuff)
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

What does the regulator look like. The inner tube method is just ghetto enough for me. Got me thinking of getting an airbrish now. I could just pop over to the gas station and fill up the inner tube, no hassle at all.

Maxx
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

I think you could also use an old tire...
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Maxximum Attack wrote:What does the regulator look like. The inner tube method is just ghetto enough for me. Got me thinking of getting an airbrish now. I could just pop over to the gas station and fill up the inner tube, no hassle at all.

Maxx

They look like that, and you just have to build your own air plumbing with the correct adapters, "T"s, etc. In addition to the regulator, it's a good idea to use a filter as well. You can find all this stuff at Home Depot.