How To Go Chrome

Got a question about painting or decals? Using an air brush or rattle cans? Wanna learn how to paint flames and take a good picture of it? It's all in here.
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

How To Go Chrome

Post by steelwoolghandi »

Ok I don’t write to many “How To’s” but here is one that might help you modders that want to chrome out your RC and not have the dull silver look.

I had a Clear 1957 Chevy Body that I wanted lots of Chrome on because what’s a 57 without the chrome. The original body that came painted had factory chrome but I wanted to keep that stock.

Ok how to get that chrome look. First paint the body the overall color you want. What I did is take the clear body, taped off the windows and then primed the body. After priming and sanding, I colored it a Cherry Red. I used a Testors Transparent Cherry Red but any type of paint can be used. Make sure the body is cleaned with soap and water before you paint it, it will clean the oils off and prep the body for the paint.

Ok now for the fun stuff, after the body has dried at least 24 hours the first part of the Chrome process can be applied. I use Alclad II Glass Black Base ALC 304 and apply a nice even coat on just the areas that are going to receive the Chrome. Make sure there are no fingerprints on any of the areas, as it will show up when the Chrome is applied.

After the Base Black has been applied and dried again for another 24 hours the Alclad II Chrome ALC 107 can be applied. You will want to apply the first coat and then subsequent Coats to the parts until you get the right Chrome finish. The coats are usually 3 or 4 coats but you will have to make that judgment based on what you are painting. You will get that glossy chrome finish and will know when its done.

Once its done do not touch the finish until its completely dry a good 24 hours is good but if you can hold off until 48 hours that is best.

Once the finish is dry a good polish will really bring out the shine!

Alclad II can be purchased at any hobby store or online. Ok now Go Chrome that Car! :-)
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
HirotoR34
bitPimp

Post by HirotoR34 »

Thanks for the great info SWG! I gots to get me some of that. I've got a few shells that could use some chromie chrome!!! :-o
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Perfect timing!!!

I've been trying to figure out what to do with the fender trim on my Xmods Hummer evo body upgrade. The stock matt grey is for shite!

A nice chrome finish would be real niiiiiiiiiiiice!

Post by Namuna »

Okay, so while I was googling for a place to buy the Alclad stuff...I run across some info about Spaz Stix "Mirror Chrome":

http://www.spazstix.com/xcart/product.p ... 300&page=1

That's just INSANE!!!

Post by payaso »

Namuna wrote:Okay, so while I was googling for a place to buy the Alclad stuff...I run across some info about Spaz Stix "Mirror Chrome":

http://www.spazstix.com/xcart/product.p ... 300&page=1

That's just INSANE!!!
The alclad II chrome will give just as good of a mirror finish as the spaz stix.

The Alclad is made about 20 min from me over in Tampa, so it's at every LHS round here.

They look much better on lexan, but I've had to use em on some bits too.

The 2 tone Gloria I painted for a contest was done with it.

Good tut swg. Car looks great too.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Thanks for the info Pay, now I'm off to try to find me some sexy Alclad products and chrome out my Hummer trim (MMmmmm, trim).

Silly question...Will I get just as good results use a paintbrush with the Alcald vs. airbrush??

I haven't touched (hell I haven't even SEEN) my Badger set in YEARS, so if I can just pickup a nice brush to use with the Alclad that'd be great...Or I could just look for the Spaz in aerosol cans.
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Good question namuna, I was gonna ask that myself. That's why I always avoided that stuff. That black chrome looking base looks pretty cool on its own.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

For larger areas I would suggest an Airbrush the 57 was done with a standard brush due to the small area I had to work with.

Alclad suggest using an airbrush the chrome will pick up the brush lines if you do larger areas.
My other hangout! R7R
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

steelwoolghandi wrote:For larger areas I would suggest an Airbrush the 57 was done with a standard brush due to the small area I had to work with.

Alclad suggest using an airbrush the chrome will pick up the brush lines if you do larger areas.

Kudos man. I had to get the airbrush out to use it. I just couldn't get it to look right with the regular brush

The paint looks alive when you open it. weird stuff.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

payaso wrote:
steelwoolghandi wrote:For larger areas I would suggest an Airbrush the 57 was done with a standard brush due to the small area I had to work with.

Kudos man. I had to get the airbrush out to use it. I just couldn't get it to look right with the regular brush

The paint looks alive when you open it. weird stuff.
Thanks man small areas turn out good you just have to keep from touching it.

as for the alive part you are so right if you shake it up if you were on something it just might really freak you out! :-D
My other hangout! R7R
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

Can it be clearcoated ? I've tried to clear coat Testors Silvers & Golds and they always run...... :-?
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

Has anyone tried this yet?

I was thinking of getting some when I paint a garden wagon I got from my neighbor. I was thinking Chrome on the rims and the rest of the wagon Pacific Blue (Same as the wife's Saturn VUE).
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

payaso wrote:The paint looks alive when you open it. weird stuff.
Terminator III in a bottle! :-)
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

DarkTari wrote:Can it be clearcoated ? I've tried to clear coat Testors Silvers & Golds and they always run...... :-?
I clear Coated it but it kinda reacts funny so its best to do it after the clear coat.
My other hangout! R7R
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

You might try using Future as clearcoat. It's a water-based acrylic, so it tends to be non-reactive with most paint.