enamel paint

Got a question about painting or decals? Using an air brush or rattle cans? Wanna learn how to paint flames and take a good picture of it? It's all in here.
Mad_Maxx
bitThug

enamel paint

Post by Mad_Maxx »

Hi guys!
it's so hot her that i just wanna stay home and... paint my bits! on the air conditioner!

I have one question:
I am using "model master" enamel paint from testor and molak enamel paint, do I have to put primer base before the enamel??? can I also paint clear bodies with out primering them before??

how much does it take to dry out??? ot's hard after 2 minutes but after how much time can I race the bit??

thanks a lot
M_M
Owner of "Sunshine Autos" V(enice)ice City
My Gallery
http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpGa ... ?cat=10108
SuperFly
bitPimp

Re: enamel paint

Post by SuperFly »

Mad_Maxx wrote:I have one question:
I am using "model master" enamel paint from testor and molak enamel paint, do I have to put primer base before the enamel??? can I also paint clear bodies with out primering them before??

how much does it take to dry out??? ot's hard after 2 minutes but after how much time can I race the bit??

thanks a lot
M_M
I have used Model Master enamel quite a bit.

I would say using a primer is a good idea, but not an absolute requirement. One of the advantages of using a primer is it allows you to see any imperfections in the body and fix them with sandpaper before you put the paint down. Primer generally dries enough to sand in a couple hours, while the enamel takes DAYS. I know you said it's hard after 2 minutes, but if we're talking about the same MM enamel, I would wait a WEEK before handling it or racing it. Even though it seems dry to the touch, it's still soft, and handling it will make it dull. If you use masking tape on it before a week or so, the tape will ruin the finish.

I know it's very hard to wait that long, so I try to have 3-4 cars going at once so I have something else to work on while I'm waiting for the paint to completely dry. Patience will be rewarded.

The problem with painting clear bodies without a primer is that often the paint is slightly transparent, and it takes several more coats to get the same appearance than with using a primer. Also, you can get different looks by using white, grey, or black primer. Like red over white primer will give it a bright, pop red. If you put red over a black primer, it will give it a deep, rich, almost crimson look.
Mad_Maxx
bitThug

Post by Mad_Maxx »

Thanks a lot for the good advices!!!
i'll wait as you said, in the meanwhile i'll go on with the others and post the ones i have not yet posted.

M_M
Owner of "Sunshine Autos" V(enice)ice City
My Gallery
http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpGa ... ?cat=10108