clear coat for Polycarbonates?

Got a question about painting or decals? Using an air brush or rattle cans? Wanna learn how to paint flames and take a good picture of it? It's all in here.
ibjamn
bitDisciple

clear coat for Polycarbonates?

Post by ibjamn »

:( Alright, I have read so much stuff on what you should/shouldn't use together, that I have a headache....

Here's the deal. I am painting a zip with polycarbonate and I would like to put a shine to it. I already had a lot of Lexan paint from my larger scale r/c's, and I have the right color scheme that I wanted. But more importantly, I couldnt afford nor find the right colors from Duplicolor. I have been told that there is nothing that I can put on it. And to tell you the truth on my H2 bit, I used Pactra's chezoom teal (which Testor makes), and clear coated it with Testor's high gloss enamel.
Bad idea, because it never hardened.
Now I know enamel shouldn't be put on lacquer.

So would Duplicolor's clear top coat (being acrylic laquer) be safe to cover a completely cured laquer finish?

I am hoping you guys can give some input. I am trying to finish my second entry for the current contest........ not much time for redo's :sad:
Thanks!

edit: I forgot to mention...... I am having to use "rattle cans" because my pressure seal ( o-ring?) is bad and waiting for a replacement.
So I think the propelants or bases in them may effect it some way.
Last edited by ibjamn on Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

It should be good. You can usually put acrylic over anything safely. Acrylic lacquer, though, I don't know... crazydave knows.

Anyway, with the final coat on a bunch of labored-over bodywork, I wouldn't take a chance. There have been too many mishaps at the final stages due to an incompatible clear coat... I think most of us have had some disasters that made us want to KILL!... what I'm getting at is that it's always best to test it out on a scrap body, or a scrap piece of plastic, before layin' it down on the final piece.

:lol: ...like I actually take the time for testing. I usually just stick with the same brand/kind of paint & clear.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

hue35 wrote::lol: ...like I actually take the time for testing. I usually just stick with the same brand/kind of paint & clear.
same! i use "krylon triple thick crystal clear glaze".
comes in a big can, dries in minutes and sets hard.
but it's different to use, goes against everything we've learnt about painting! you gotta lay it in one thick wet coat and move it around for a few minutes to prevent drips.
i used to be cool
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

This is what i am trying to avoid. the clear is actually peeling and fogged.

Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

About the hummer, you should have sanded it lightly with a VERY fine grit sandpaper. Then spray the clear.
I've found recently that if I let the poly paint completely dry to it's hard phase then spray the clear. If you spray too early, it spazzes on you and ruins your day.

Maxx
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

I've tried many combos of shit. I'm pretty much done with Testor's clear.
It has superior gloss, but it never dries hard enough to handle on a consistant basis. Duplicolor didn't gloss nowhere near as well as the Testors, even with multiple coats. I like the Rustolium! It glosses just as good as the Testors but dries hard and fast. The TVR I just did I put 3 coats on and it's incredible 8-)
The Pics really doesn't tell the story....
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

crazydave knows.
I was gonna say yeah I wish, but then I remembered, I do know. I've made every mistake once. :lol:

Polycarbonate paint is laquer based, but is specially formulated for polycarbonate, so its not the same as Duplicolor, I did try it before, and it came out great at first, but dried really bumpy after a month or so. Maybe if the base coat is given time to cure it could work. :???:

In response to what DT said, Enamel (Testors, Rustoleum) dries with a superior gloss, but give laquer a month to cure, then rub it out with 3M rubbing compound, and finish off with some Meguiers, and you'll get a glassy shine, that'll last forever. Enamel tends to dull up with handling, and can't really be rubbed out. With that said, I've gotton superior shine straight from the can with Plasticote's candy clear. I'm butthurt that Pep Boys don't carry it no more, and I don't know where to get it now.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

good info.
I'm just frustrated with this one car......
see the pics in Painting Strippers??? thread?

I just didn't want any more snags :-?
I only have a few days........ doesn't sound like much curing time will be done without an embossing heat gun.

I think this is one of those things like the adage;

Liqour before beer, never fear. Beer before liqour, never sicker. :-x
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

I got so sick of dealin with clear coats, I just stopped doin em, and went the flat hoosier colors.

On the curing thing. I actually have started baking my painted up stuff in the oven on low heat. I bake it at 200f give or take for about 10-15 minutes. I check em about every 5 min.

It's easy, and alot quicker than letting it sit in the trunk of a car for a day, or 2

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein