How to do a bit sized CF hood [MAXXA]

Got a question about painting or decals? Using an air brush or rattle cans? Wanna learn how to paint flames and take a good picture of it? It's all in here.
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

How to do a bit sized CF hood [MAXXA]

Post by Maxximum Attack »

Posted this here also so that it would be in a relavent place on the boards and easier to find using the search engine.

You'll need:
X-acto knife
Small plastc strainer (with square mesh not diamond shaped)
Masking tape
and a toothpick (optional)
Black paint (gloss or flat)
Gunmetal paint

First you start with a normal strainer (shown below), then you cut the mesh out using an X-acto knife.

With your bonnet painted black, just a light coat, nothing major...

"Mask" the bonnet with a small piece of the mesh. Try to get the mesh as tight as possible to the bonnet else you will lose the effect that the mesh is supposed to cause. Please be sure that yo arrange the lines in the mesh horizontally across the bonnet (mine is a little croked).

Then you take your can of Gunmetal Grey (here I used Dark metalic bronze) and pass two VERY light coats over the mesh. Too heavy and the lines may be too pronounced and you'll end up with a checker board.

And you end up with this once it's dry :-)

It looks rather crude now, but once you mask the bonnet and continue the paintjob as normal.
Personally I prefer to do this before the paintjob as it is less hassle. All you have to do is mask it when you're finished and continue painting as normal. Once it's done you'll love the results.

Don't throw the mesh away cuz you can use it over and over, as long as you didn't gum it up by applying too much paint.

There you have it...CF bonnets for all your custom bits.

Maxx
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

Cool :-o I'll have to try that if/when I do a tuner.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Saw this on R7R the other day pretty cool tut, I can't wait to try it on the S2k, oops I just gave away one of my projects.
1000+ post of BS.
PimpIke
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpIke »

yeah this is pretty cool. on the tenth scale lexan bodies, many painters use this stuff that comes in a roll, that you place under your rugs (or anything furniture like) to keep it from moving. Works the same way, creating a pattern. good tutorial dude!
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

PimpIke wrote:yeah this is pretty cool. on the tenth scale lexan bodies, many painters use this stuff that comes in a roll, that you place under your rugs (or anything furniture like) to keep it from moving. Works the same way, creating a pattern. good tutorial dude!
tool box drawer liners too :-o (same stuff that you said, just in a different dept at the store)