My new airbrush

Got a question about painting or decals? Using an air brush or rattle cans? Wanna learn how to paint flames and take a good picture of it? It's all in here.
crazydave
bitPimp

My new airbrush

Post by crazydave »

I was never happy with my Badger Crescendo. Since paint occasionally backs up into the trigger assembly, I believe it to have a bad needle bearing. I could send it back to factory to have to serviced under warranty, but I never felt like going through the hassle, and just been dealing with it. I finally got around to slapping down some cash on another one. I was down to the Badger Anthem for $79, the Parma F-1 for $89, or an Iwata Eclipse BCS for $99. I was really considering the Badger, because I wanted to give them another chance, since I figured mine was a fluke, and I didn't want to be left with a bad impression of them, but ultimately, I just couldn't do it. I was looking at the Parma for the simple fact that I'm using their paints, so I figured their airbrush would have to work good with them. I was strongly considering the Iwata, because I hear nothing but great things about them, and their smooth trigger action, on the airbrush forums.

In the end I had more RC goodies I wanted, and I wanted to save on shipping, so I had to find someplace that everything I needed. I ended up getting the Parma one at rcplanet.com for $75, a lot cheaper than I expected.

I really hope it sprays good, because just looking it over, I'm extremely happy with it. Comparing it to my Crescendo, the slim design feels much nicer. The metal handle is longer than it needs to be, which gives it a nice counter balance. I like that there is more space between the air inlet, and paint inlet, so I have room to wrap my fingers around. The trigger button is large, and has an indent in the middle that gives you good control. The cutaway handle makes cleaning easier. It has a rubber seal on the tip, so hopefully I can ditch the beeswax. The tip can be setup for wide coverage, or if you unscrew the end and reverse it, it's set up for detail work. (I should have took the cap off for the pic. :oops:) The needle and nozzle are a lot thinner and smaller, I wonder if this going to produce a finer spraying pattern.

I hate to recommend something without trying it first, but at this point I'd highly recommend this airbrush. Of coarse if it don't work right, you know I'm going to come back all pissed off. :lol:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

:grin: looks dead sexy!! hope it works great, id like to get one of these!
[]D [] []V[] []D
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

Personally I've been using Pasche airbrushes for years. That Parma one looks good hope you have fun using it.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I don't have anything I want to paint. :oops:

I have a body, but I want to wait until I get my chassis from Ripper, because its easier to mount a clear body. My wife works across the street from Hobbytown, so today I sent her with a list of the cars I own, and told her to grab anything. It'll be interesting to see if she actually comes back with something I like. :lol:
crazydave's Gallery
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

so CD what would you recommend for an air compressor? i need something TINY, quiet, and portable.

i think i saw an electric 2 gallon at target. 100psi max, is that good?
[]D [] []V[] []D
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I don't know if they still have them but Harbor Frieght Tools had a compressor made for airbrushes...with air dryer and regulator ...for $79. I got one a while back and have been happy with it...but then I'm no where near as good with an airbrush as some of these guys, so maybe its only good for people who are only OK with an airbrush? :???: It's not whisper quiet but its not too loud either. I can still have a normal conversation without yelling while it runs. I don't know if they are still on sale, but if not just watch, this and the plastic welder they have, seem to be on sale a lot.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

I bought one from Harbour Freight a couple years back, and maybe it's my noobish nature, but I couldn't get the regulator to consistently stay at a particular psi between usages. It is pretty quiet though. And otherwise, I am pleased with it.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

My Hobbico compressor was $120, its quiet, and portable (It's got a handle), but I don't know if it qualifies as tiny. Small, but not tiny. :???:

My wife actually picked a body I really wanted. :shock:
She got a Proline Crowd Pleaser for my RC18. Only problem, I realized I'm out of the FasKrome I need to back my metallics. Hobbyshop was out, so I had to order it. I still need to mask the body, so I'm going nuts waiting to try this thing. I guess I'm going to have to break down and pick up some poster board after work tomorrow.
crazydave's Gallery
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

Is this a dual action or single action? I need to replace my airbrush... it's old and has gunked up over the years.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

evoraptor wrote:Is this a dual action or single action? I need to replace my airbrush... it's old and has gunked up over the years.
It is dual action. You know, I've found it nearly impossible find any single action/internal mix airbrushes, they're all external mix now. So if you see an internal mix airbrush, it's pretty safe to say it's more than likely dual action. In general, not as a rule.
crazydave's Gallery