Dove into airbrushing

Got a question about painting or decals? Using an air brush or rattle cans? Wanna learn how to paint flames and take a good picture of it? It's all in here.
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Dove into airbrushing

Post by Murdoch »

Couple days ago, I hit the hobby shops to resupply my painting area. I spotted the guy who's into airbrushing and started to talk to him about what I wanted to do.

Long story short he recommended a badger 250. nice and simple but allows me to adjust the spray width.

so I've been working with it for the day using some faskolor paints and man oh man this stuff is addictive.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Cut you some 2 litre bottles up for practice materials...

Keep us posted.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

payaso wrote:Cut you some 2 litre bottles up for practice materials...
hey thanks.. when can you send them over?

:razz:

Had an idea for a paintjob for the RX8 i have sitting here. fades and pinstripe flames. My fades need some work and I need to figure out how to keep the trim tape from lifting.

frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Burnish the tape edges more before you lay paint. If you're working on clear plastic it's easy to see the masking change color as you get the all the air out for a better seal.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

frizzen wrote:Burnish the tape edges more before you lay paint. If you're working on clear plastic it's easy to see the masking change color as you get the all the air out for a better seal.
yea I did that. I think what happened is the first coat hadn't cured enough. Airbrushing and it's paints are completely new to me right now.

Oh well, it's good enough for a test. at least I know what the effect will do.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Airbrushing is addicting and fun, at least it is for me. :-o

Keep at it, it's frustrating sometimes.

If your using Pactra masking tape, or Parma masking film, you can warm it with a blow dryer to help conform to contours so it doesn't lift, but I'll tell ya, I've learned that you should be laying the paint light enough that it doesn't run under the tape when it lifts.

Here's a couple more tips I picked up recently, try using Createx Airbrush colors. Bonds to Lexan as well if not better, and its cheaper. You can pick them up at most craft stores for $2-$3 a bottle. Use transparent colors, you will have so much more control over them, and you have the bonus of being able back them with white for solid colors, or silver for a metallic look.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"