Broken body...

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
mekinhux
bitPlaya'

Broken body...

Post by mekinhux »

I have an rx-7 that split in two at the front wheel wells. I've glued it and it is now solid. Sanded it up and when I finished I thought of filling those rear wing holes in the back. I filled them up with glue :-( because I didn't knew what to use. Either way, sanded it again and it's lookin' smooth. Do you guys think that paint will grab to that glue or it will start to do those funny and annoying bubbles??? Know this is a stupid question but just starting some body moddin' here.

See ya :-)
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

What kind of glue did you use? I use Super Glue (Cyanoacrylate), and it dries semi pourous, and will make sink holes in the paint if you're not careful. I go over my stuff with glue, sand, add more glue, and sand again. That usually gets things pretty good. If you lay a primer coat you shouldn't have a problem.

When you paint, lay a couple coats, let it dry, then inspect it. If your having problems, lightly wet sand the area with 400 grit sand paper, and lay a couple more coats, and you should be good.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
JDM-R34
bitGangsta'

Post by JDM-R34 »

5 minute epoxy works great on Bits when fixing a body or adding like mufflers or spoilers or bodykits. I agree with Dave on primer too. :cool:
DRIFT HAPPENS
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i use superglue as my putty of choice. if you prep it the same as the plastic (sand all over, wash thoroughly) you should be fine. the paint stays on fine until i grind it off on the road. i'd avoid epoxy, whenever i've used it it tends to set a little too soft for sanding. could be the brand i've used, but super glue sets nice and hard.
i used to be cool
Finks
bitPimp

Post by Finks »

I agree with betty. I have just about given up on epoxy, to damn soft. Model or superglue is where it's at.
Suck My Bits
:twisted:©2005 Finks fucked your girlfriend in highschool inc
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

If you guys are having problems with the epoxy never getting hard enough, you need to use more of the hardener, but don't use too much, as it will crystalize and become brittle.

I would think epoxy would be too hard to sand.
crazydave's Gallery
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

ive never used it for body putty forsay but jbweld would make a good one i bet. ill have to try soon.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

hogjowlz wrote:ive never used it for body putty forsay but jbweld would make a good one i bet. ill have to try soon.
Do it. You have to.
crazydave's Gallery
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

crazydave wrote:Do it.
Do it.
mekinhux
bitPlaya'

Post by mekinhux »

I've been using superglue to fill those holes. I'll do it again and sand it once again until it gets very smooth. Then I'll use primer and see if it grabs to the glue. Thanks for the extra info guys :bowdown:
IronDragon
bitPlaya'

Post by IronDragon »

I used concrete crack filler on mine and it seems to be grabbin dat chrom and plastic like theirs no tomorrow... glue might be a little tricky tho