wheel mod

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

wheel mod

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

I stripped some wheels off a toy car. Sorry about the skyline. I know everybody is about sick of them, but it's just a test car. I'll be doing something better soon.

I had to keep the original crappy tire because they were the only tires designed to go on the rims. The're not like bit rims. But I overcame there nonsticky crappyness with black silicon that I picked up at Pep Boys. This car actually rocks. It's got fets, dual cells and 4:1 kit gears. The acceleration is very good. I need to get the silicon smoother on the next go around. It's a little bumpy. Still controls well though.

The black silicon is only on the back tires.

I also had to dremmel out some space in the front wheel wells for the larger tires and I put a guitar string antenna on. Great reception.
Cause I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle.
midget_man1387
midgetPimp

Post by midget_man1387 »

looks like a nice job of mounting. everything rolls straight? Like you said, silicon could've been smoother, but other than that it looks good. what toy did you score those off of?

Let me get some Pringles :-)
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

I don't remember. Sorry, I always do this to everybody. I just picked up some cheap cars, ripped off there rims and other usable stuff and divided it in to my parts boxes. I know I'm a nut, because I have boxes just for organizing things like rims.

It actually roles smooth. The silicon is softer than I thought, so the little bumps in the tires don't seem to bother it. I had already mounted the rims on the axle, so I had to put the silicon on both at the same time while using the cars motor to spin the tires, because the tires could only come off from the inside. It was a little tricky. Next time I plan on doing each tire seperately, using my dremel to spin them on an axle. That way I'll be able to focus on just one at a time. Plus, I can put the tires on a rim I don't care about. I was fighting not to get the black silicon on the rims during the process this time.
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

First glance I was going to say that they were from a Modifiers die-cast... I almost mistook the brake discs for the Modifiers "hubs" in the underside pic... but after looking closer, they appear to be from the "Import Tuners" series of Dub City cars... Those are pretty much the only ones I've seen set up like that with brake discs... I've seen other "Import Racers" die-casts that had brake discs, but they were a 3-piece hub/brake disc/cap set-up...

If the rims are beveled, they are definately from some type of Dub City ride.

When me and 219 first got into modding bits, we went on a die-cast butchering rampage... well, mostly 219 lol... and in the process, we got to know the workings of a lot of different types of wheel set ups...

Makes me anxious for winter to come... 219 would show up at my door with a bag from Kaybee or TRU, break out the Dremel(man... this goes back to when I still was borrowing my dads... before we both bought the cordless ones lol), and just start hacking and grinding away at the bottom of the chassis or the "rivet" that held the body on... Aaaaaah, the good old days... I would usually just sit there and enjoy the carnage lol
EIGHT-SIX wrote:I know I'm a nut, because I have boxes just for organizing things like rims
No, you're just fine, man... or else we're ALL nuts!
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

I think you're right Bird.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Chop + grind + cut = Pile 'O Parts

Many nights of metal grinding!! I miss the good 'ol days. :smile: