Mod new ZZ to accept non-hardwired motors?

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
nuggetz

Mod new ZZ to accept non-hardwired motors?

Post by nuggetz »

Since I now have 2 of the newest zipzap XMOD micro cars, I wanted to do some surgery and modify one of the to accept non-hardwired motors. Is there a tutorial on how to do this? I tried searching but couldn't find anything. I would think it's been done before since most of the clones are hardwired. I was thinking of removing the board and putting it into an older ZZ but I like the new chassis and bodies and would rather mod the existing car. Any ideas?
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

Not yet. In fact, very few of us have this newest addition of the ZZ line. You are one of the first.
So, you know what that means?

Yours is the guinea pig, and you get to learn how to solder!

:-)
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

New motor clip looks like it should be able to hold a drop in motor well enough.

Are you wanting motor contacts or can you live with having to hardwire on the drop-ins?
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
nuggetz

Post by nuggetz »

Actually, I was thinking of cannibalizing one of my old ZZ for the metal contact pieces and solder that to the wires on the PCB but you never know if it'll fit just perfect unless you try and I'd hate to destroy a perfectly good zz even tho I have 5 of them. :-) Maybe I'll go for it.

EDIT - Instead of destroying a perfectly good zip, I decided to use some old piece of very thing meta to form my own motor contact. I have 2 pieces. One that will make contact with the back of the motor and the other for the body of the motor. Question I have now is which is positive? I will take a wild guess and say that the back of the motor would be positive, right?