zz evo widebody, pics, suggestions please!

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
jonnywachter

zz evo widebody, pics, suggestions please!

Post by jonnywachter »

so here is what i worked on most of my day yesterday. there are no pics of how i built the wide body, but its not painted or completely sanded yet, so its not hard to tell what i did. i used the wheel wells off of an audi body and some white plastic stuff then some super glue and a lot off dremel and exacto knife(ing)?. lol i am building a 2wd chassis for the body now but i plan to make it awd eventually. i want to do another, so if anyone has an evo body they want to give or sell to me let me know.

please let me know if u have any suggestions and best painting techniques. this is my first time paint a body on the out side. also and suggestions on chassis and the best most compact way to put more power in it. there is absolutely no room to fit a bigger motor so i'm thinking tri cell or something. aslo im not sure what i want to do for the front grill yet, there is some space that needs to be filled in.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Re: zz evo widebody, pics, suggestions please!

Post by sidewinder »

Looks like a really good start. One thing that will help when its time to paint is sandable primer. it will help get any small nicks and scratches that you might not notice before painting. I'm not the one to give much paint advice, but I do know that the more prep time you put in the better it will come out. Also, be sure to spray a bunch of really thin layers, the first should be almost transparent, and be sure to wait between coats, most paints will recomend the proper length of time between coats. If you have trouble shaping anything some automotive filler putty will work great, or you can get green putty at almost any hobby shop. I know I'm in the minority here but I like Krylon paint if you are using a rattle can, and House of Kolor paint if you use an airbrush, but Testors will work fine too.

Anyways, good start and keep us updated. :-o

edit: And, if Crazy Dave corrects me on any of that I'd go with his opinion since he's the pro here.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Good start. Is that a ZZ Evo or an SS Evo?

I'd probably spend a little more time on the transition into the flares, and I'd definately put door lines into the body kit that now seals your doors shut, probably carve in a bit more tape too.

Grab a ruler, double check your chassis for squareness.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
jonnywachter

Post by jonnywachter »

its a zz evo. what do you mean by carve more tape into it?
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Uh, don't carve styrene over your keyboard. Keys get difficult, like R.

...probably carve in a bit more tapeR into the body kit doors too...

:|
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I knew that becauseImagethe omage doesn't click so here's a link----------->>>>http://www.thegamehomepage.com/play/the-stupidity-test

Or maybe because I've done the same thing, my 9 still sticks, I have to hammer it to get it to work.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
jonnywachter

Post by jonnywachter »

LOL ok taper makes more sense, but I don't understand how I would carve more into the door?
jonnywachter

Post by jonnywachter »

so i finished up the chassis made the wiring all clean. i did a little work to the front fenders, now with full compression the wheels dont rub. i also changed the front wheels out because the stock ones had alot of slop. so i took some rear wheels and drilled them out ect. Alot less slop now
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

This is looking pretty sweet. I thought I would mention, in case the steering becomes a problem, on ZZ Evos or the transformer edition ones, instead of coils, it uses a small servo more or less. It isn't as reduced as ZZSE's, its only got two or three gears I think and that is what gives them such great response. This way also, you won't have to worry about iron dust from the ground. :-o
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-288:1 Gear Ratio
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
-1:35 Scale Willy's Flatfender body
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

It is looking pretty good, I like the front end, carving the upper section must have been fun.
jonnywachter

Post by jonnywachter »

is the steering proportional? that would be alot better. rite now the steering actually sucks. it worked awesome then i re wired it so that i had the thicker wires going to the coils so they wouldnt break off, and now the steering seems weak, idk why or how the wires would effect it. maybe ill put the front end off one of those then. got any for cheap? lol
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

Very nice, VERY!
I also use Krylon primer, sands easy, usually I let it cure for several hours before painting and it takes paint well.
Automotive paint works for me, I like the colors :grin: Dupli-Color lays smooth (usually).
Oh yeah, use thin coats at first and it going to be all good.
:-)
jonnywachter

Post by jonnywachter »

so nobody has any pictures of the servo use in the transformer cars?
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

You lucked out, I took one pic when I was working on a now unfinished project. Here it is, and it is not proportional, just reduced.

Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-288:1 Gear Ratio
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
-1:35 Scale Willy's Flatfender body
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Not me, sorry. I'll check the stash, but I think I sold the Transformers cars I had, I was going to keep the Optimus Prime but I needed a quick birthday present for a cousin's kid. I'll ask if he still has it if no one else has any pics.