ZZMT based Tamiya mini 4WD build

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
45tr0
bitNinja

ZZMT based Tamiya mini 4WD build

Post by 45tr0 »

So i have a miniature version of my land rover already - time to build one for the suzuki.

Problem: SSMT axles are waaay too big.
Solution: cut up a zzmt to suit.

Problem: Don't like the rigid drive shaft, offset articulation, rear-end motor layout, etc.
Solution: Cut off everything but the axles, trim down, use mini quake joints to make independent front and rear end.

Steering will be a micro servo mounted up into the chassis, paperclip links. Chassis will be styrene, custom gears (micro T too big and too fast, will just make a simple stack of gears sandwiched between styrene.

Current problem? radio gear. probably stock micro T...

Pics.
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
"Nope, just regular kind"
rcrally
bitThug

Re: ZZMT based Tamiya mini 4WD build

Post by rcrally »

I also attempted to make one with zzmt chassis and tyco body.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rcrally on Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcrally
bitThug

Post by rcrally »

My car looks pretty rough. Because of doubling the wheelbase, more than 2 feet to make a turn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Man those are some killer axles 45tr0!

What kind of Zuk is that? I don't think it ever came over here.

-
rcrally, there are a couple builds that go into steering mods, trim all the bind points, and deeper bevel the drivecups
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
vwmicrosizer
bitGimp

Post by vwmicrosizer »

frizzen wrote:Man those are some killer axles 45tr0!

-
rcrally, there are a couple builds that go into steering mods, trim all the bind points, and deeper bevel the drivecups
itz actully a gmc jimmy
Pork_Hunt
bitHood

Post by Pork_Hunt »

vwmicrosizer wrote:
frizzen wrote:Man those are some killer axles 45tr0!

-
itz actully a gmc jimmy
In Australia it is sold as a Suzuki Jimny. Oi and where are all these rad builds of yours...???
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

dude, wax dem shoulders or stop wearing a wifebeater!!! :lol:
i used to be cool
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

Pork_Hunt wrote: In Australia it is sold as a Suzuki Jimny. Oi and where are all these rad builds of yours...???
yup - the suzuki that sold in america as the samurai was known as the sierra or jimny in the rest of the world. This is the 98 - current model, and the same as my 1:1.
See this thread

To confuse naming further, as of this year's model they're using both names, so it's a Suzuki Jimny Sierra.

and I agree VW - tracked down that digital camera yet for your projects? :-)
betty.k wrote:dude, wax dem shoulders or stop wearing a wifebeater!!! :lol:
What can I say man? The woman likes a Teddybear. :cool: I wax my back tho - nobody needs that :hurl:
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
vwmicrosizer
bitGimp

Post by vwmicrosizer »

45tr0 wrote:
Pork_Hunt wrote: In Australia it is sold as a Suzuki Jimny. Oi and where are all these rad builds of yours...???
yup - the suzuki that sold in america as the samurai was known as the sierra or jimny in the rest of the world. This is the 98 - current model, and the same as my 1:1.
See this thread

To confuse naming further, as of this year's model they're using both names, so it's a Suzuki Jimny Sierra.

and I agree VW - tracked down that digital camera yet for your projects? :-)
betty.k wrote:dude, wax dem shoulders or stop wearing a wifebeater!!! :lol:
What can I say man? The woman likes a Teddybear. :cool: I wax my back tho - nobody needs that :hurl:
no i havent my dad came back with the camera but i think my brother has it now ill have to look for it. btw 45tr0 love the project.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

;) Don't worry man, the hair level is fine unless it's bad enough the PETA twits are throwing red paint on you and screaming about "Fur is Murder". As long as you're only up to "Bigfoot sightings when you're shirtless" level it's still good.

Porkhunt, since you quoted both, were you calling out vwMICRO or myself?

I did some searching. Looks like here it sold under Suzuki Sidekick, Geo Tracker, Chevy Tracker. It got to be a GMC Tracker if it went to live in up north Canukistan. We got the Samurai, then we got the IFS one as a Sidekick/Tracker which was the last one I paid attention to, then apparently it turned into a Vitara, then a Grand Vitara. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Escudo
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

frizzen wrote: As long as you're only up to "Bigfoot sightings when you're shirtless" level it's still good.
the scary thing is i've got older brothers, so i know by the time i'm 30 what i'm in for. my oldest bro goes surfing in board shorts and looks like he's wearing a wetsuit... :shock:

Oh and i'm a PETA member... PETA is People Eating Tasty Animals right?
Nah, i've got a lot of room for Animals. Right next to the mash potato.
frizzen wrote: Porkhunt, since you quoted both, were you calling out vwMICRO or myself?
I'm pretty sure it was vw... i'm sure he's got a camera around the house... somewhere... :wink:
frizzen wrote:I did some searching. Looks like here it sold under Suzuki Sidekick, Geo Tracker, Chevy Tracker. It got to be a GMC Tracker if it went to live in up north Canukistan. We got the Samurai, then we got the IFS one as a Sidekick/Tracker which was the last one I paid attention to, then apparently it turned into a Vitara, then a Grand Vitara. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Escudo
Yeah, the sidekick was the rest of the world's Vitara, and now the Grand Vitara. good on the beach but useless anywhere else, complete softroader. I reckon there'd be money to be made on grey import jimny's into the USA... :???: $4k off the docks in Japan, and you could get the 1.5L turbo diesel...
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
Pork_Hunt
bitHood

Post by Pork_Hunt »

frizzen wrote: Porkhunt, since you quoted both, were you calling out vwMICRO or myself?
vwM all the way man, MAD respect to your builds. Can not wait to see what car that fiery bastard rolls out of your garage in next :D
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

it's been a while since I pulled this project out., but i got a bit more done on it today :-o

Chassis Sorted - 4 & 1/4 inches long, 1 inch wide.

the uni joints took up too much length for the 8.5cm wheelbase of the body and didn't leave enough room for a gearbox, so i shortened the shafts and will use fuel tubing to provide the linkage between the box and the shaft - it's flexible enough to provide a range of movement but strong enough for this scale.

Should have the axles mounted up tonight - then steering, electronics, paint... at this rate I should have it done this year, which will be a pleasant change for my projects.
:-)
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"