CLEAR COAT HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
warmaster259
bitPlaya'

CLEAR COAT HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by warmaster259 »

:-) is it ok to clear coat a bit body? if not what else can i use?
noxorc
bitPimp

Post by noxorc »

relax...yea...its ok to clear coat.

Oh, what type of paint did you have on there?

acrylic, oil-based, latex, enamal?

you should keep with the same type of clear coat as the paint.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Re: CLEAR COAT HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by BilboBaggins »

warmaster259 wrote::-) is it ok to clear coat a bit body? if not what else can i use?
Ok, you can clear coat a Bit Body (I do all the time.)
But what you use is important.

I use Krylon Acrylic Clear Gloss.
I've also heard good things about Future Acrylic Floor Polish (wax?).

Do not use Rustoleum Crystal Clear, I found out the hard way about it. It will disolve/eat the top layer of paint and the undercoat will show through. I guess it could be a cool effect if you're looking for it.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

BilboBaggins wrote:
warmaster259 wrote::-) is it ok to clear coat a bit body? if not what else can i use?
Ok, you can clear coat a Bit Body (I do all the time.)
But what you use is important.

I use Krylon Acrylic Clear Gloss.
I've also heard good things about Future Acrylic Floor Polish (wax?).

Do not use Rustoleum Crystal Clear, I found out the hard way about it. It will disolve/eat the top layer of paint and the undercoat will show through. I guess it could be a cool effect if you're looking for it.
found out about rustoleum the hard way myself, but being the persistant ass that I am - I continued to use it - just gotta do super thin coats and it shouldn't eat your paint.
though I'd prefer to be using better clear coat, and plan to when I'm out of this rustoleum.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

CaboWabo wrote:found out about rustoleum the hard way myself, but being the persistant ass that I am - I continued to use it - just gotta do super thin coats and it shouldn't eat your paint.
though I'd prefer to be using better clear coat, and plan to when I'm out of this rustoleum.
I have it now hidden in the garage and only use it on stuff I know it'll work on. The Krylon cost me under $3.00 at Kmart.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
Stoli
bitPimp

Post by Stoli »

I use clear Nail polish on mine. It works good. Doesn't eat the paint and is SUPER hard. You could also use that nail hardening stuff.

Ask your wife . GF or Mom if you have no idea what I'm talking about LOL
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

without an airbrush, nail polish just isn't an option for me - brushing it on adds like 5 pounds and 5 inches in the waiste...
and all my cars are girls :lol:
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
Stoli
bitPimp

Post by Stoli »

I'm sure they are C-Dub. So you have what 30 wives now? LOL ( poor you)

As for nail polish it adds very little. Its pretty thin stuff. ( the hardener ) and it works great no reduction in speed that I noticed?
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

I have one little thing I disagree with here. I don't think you have to use the same type of clear coat as paint, in fact I think using the opposite kind has it's advantages. I use Future floor polish over enamel paints. If I don't like the clearcoat, or mess it up, a little amonia and a cotton ball removes it without touching the paint.

Also, sometimes I do weathering and body panel lines with acrylic paint (even watercolor) over enamel for the same reason. If you screw up, you can undo back to a clean paintjob.
warmaster259
bitPlaya'

Post by warmaster259 »

thanks for all ur help guys. PIMP OUT!!!!!!!!
ziprc
bitThug

Post by ziprc »

well, if u want it to look spiffy and even, you can always do what i did and get some tamiya clear PAINT, and airbrush it on. nice and smooth.
warmaster259
bitPlaya'

Post by warmaster259 »

good idea ziprc. goin to my LHS tommorow to pick some up
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

I use Testor's Model Master 2936. This stuff is like a sheet of glass. I just clear coated my latest Skyline just now and my Redone EVO 2 days ago. I've tried some others but this works too good to switch. Takes about 2-3 days to dry completely but the results are worth the wait!
warmaster259
bitPlaya'

Post by warmaster259 »

i like that. u think i can get that at hobby lobby or the LHS, or do i need to order it?
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

warmaster259 wrote:i like that. u think i can get that at hobby lobby or the LHS, or do i need to order it?
I just picked mine up at the Local Hobby Shop.

http://www.testors.com/brand_category.asp?brandNbr=4