How to make a skirt.

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
Jiggalata

How to make a skirt.

Post by Jiggalata »

How do you make a skirt for any car? I thought it would look cool on my 350z
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I haven't done a full skirt, but I did this air dam by super glueing a piece of zip zap packaging to the edge. I use a piece of the dome where it started to curve, so that the air dam has a slight curve to it. Then I sanded the edge down before before I painted.

Last edited by crazydave on Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
hondacivic

Post by hondacivic »

crazydave wrote:I haven't done a full skirt, but I did this air dam by super glueing a piece of zip zap packaging to the edge. I use a piece of the dome where it started to curve, so that the air dam has a slight curve to it. Then I sanded the edge down before before I painted.

I will buy that car off of you :-D
In the making Xmod-Honda Civic custom paint job,AWD,carbon fiber driveshaft,Dual Blue Neon Exhaust,Stage 1 Fets,Carbon Fiber Hood,Mild Body Kit,5th cell,CLL 3rd Brake Light and reverse lights,stage 2 motor roof scoop,lowered and soft suspension
Pie
bitThug

Post by Pie »

:sad: aww... dammit crazydave, i thought i was the only one who made lip kits and skirts for my cars... :cry:

haha, damn nice job on that supra tho... makes the zip body look a lot more like what it's supposed to be =)

my free-hand putty skirts never look all that great, and are never that smooth. basically you just chopped and glued that rite?
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

welcome to da hood hondacivic
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
noxorc
bitPimp

Post by noxorc »

Hey Cdave, did you drop that nose? the wheels are really huggin the wells.

-n
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

noxorc wrote:Hey Cdave, did you drop that nose? the wheels are really huggin the wells.

-n
Well this was a couple months ago, but I hate leaving ???s unanswered.

Anyways, Yes, that car is slammed all the way around. I had cut new slots in the body.

****Edit: I'll go ahead and update you guys on my technique too.

Now what I do is cut some plastic from the thick part of the Zip Zap packaging. I super glue two pieces together so I have a thicker piece of plastic. I cut it to shape, sand it smooth. Super glue it on and sand it some more.

Here's a couple examples:

...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
pimped_out_honda

Post by pimped_out_honda »

im a smart ass so dont get made u take some fabric then a sewing machine and sew the fabric together. then give it to your girlfriend. lol no j/k what all them said i just follow what they say but that mest up my cars so now i used melted candle wax.
u can do your burn outs but i will do my drifting
VooDooMafia
bitPimp

Post by VooDooMafia »

pimped_out_honda wrote:im a smart ass so dont get made u take some fabric then a sewing machine and sew the fabric together. then give it to your girlfriend. lol no j/k what all them said i just follow what they say but that mest up my cars so now i used melted candle wax.
That cant be very strong though :???:
I Don't care what you say PIMPIN aint easy, you Broke A$$ Mother F*&Ker
pimped_out_honda

Post by pimped_out_honda »

i never said for use and if i do it right it is strong unless im jumping off ramps but i do it for show when i got a good one painted perfect then i will enter it by the way my truck didnt work (badboyporshe69) is my older name i think but i decided id build a escalade ext i think out of a diecast cevy pick up and wax. i put the stuff from my truck in it.
u can do your burn outs but i will do my drifting
194gvan

Post by 194gvan »

hey thanks for bumping this topic, i was wondering about some of the custom body work ive seen.

ive only had my first bit about a month and ive got a second on the way, and more accessories. id like to do some thing custom real soon.

i have another question, considering the cars are so small, what grit sandpaper do you reccomend sanding down with? i take it i shouldnt even bother with a dremel tool unless i plan on tearing the car to shreds :)

thanks
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

you can use a dremel if you plan on doing some major chopping, but be careful because it will eat into the plastic very quickly.

for sandpaper, the grits vary depending on what you're doing.
the larger the portion you need to take off, the heavier the grit you can use.
once you get to the point of "smoothing things out", you'd use a super fine grit, like wet sanding.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
Colin4371

Post by Colin4371 »

for a body kit, i just cut out a strip of a credit card to my desired ride height, heat it up with a candle and bend it to the contours of the front end e.g where it wraps around to the fenders. cut it to size, glue it on, then use Bondo Auto Body Filler to fill in the cracks, sand smooth, and voila!
Finks
bitPimp

Post by Finks »

Can somone post an example of a cerdit card body kit? Just figuring you wouldn't have much but a flat surface added, unless you etched it or what eva. Arite thnx
stampede_dude
bitNinja

Post by stampede_dude »

wow dave what is that blue car in the bottom of the post?i usually dont go for imports but dang that thing looks GOOD for a zipzap body.