Wheel well fixing

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
ziprc
bitThug

Wheel well fixing

Post by ziprc »

Hey, can someone like payaso/cabo or anyone who has experience with a dremel gimme some help? I lowered my car both front and rear a sufficiently far way down. my front still has some room for turning without problems. but my rear axle is having some heavy grinding against the body. so i decided to test dremeling out the wheel wells for some of the bodies. the wells didn't look the same and looked like cr4p. Any ideas as to how to make even looking wheel wells with the dremel? Or are there any other methods of wheel well fixing?
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

a dremel on a wheel well is a bit overkill. i have these snips that cut through plastic like nothing. all i do is carefully cut little pieces at a time.

they cost 5.49 and are really nice.

http://www.action-electronics.com/cutters.htm
Pie
bitThug

Post by Pie »

MOST bit, or in your case, zipzap bodies have wider fender flares than the wheels themselves, which seem kinda tucked into the body.

when you lower, the bodysometimes sits low enough to rub, but because they're not flush with the fenders, you dont actually have to cut of any of hte outside.

basically, take a knife, or sandpaper, whichever you prefer, and start scraping/sanding out the part of the wheel well that is unpainted, (the indside). this will thin out enough plastic so that the wheels have the room to turn, but will leave the outside looking untouched.

but.. if you got fatty wheels on there, then im not quite sure what to do :???:
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

yea I wouldn't use a dremel for small shaving...
personally, I use my x-acto knife and make very small, controlled slices and keep testing the fit until I've trimmed enough for no rubbing.
just take your time and don't hack off too much at once.
with x-acto blades, it's smoother if you use the very tip and make small shaves or cuts, digging in to the plastic with a lot of the blade will produce jagged cut edges.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
ziprc
bitThug

Post by ziprc »

thx for the tips guys. they help ALOT
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

no problem homeslice