Alloy rims and tires

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

tiny has a good store but i cant see payin 12$ for a non performance part.
id pay 12 for those wheels probably.
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Sounds good, about the pins...I'm wondering if the Home Depot might not have super-thin nails that we could use as pins?

Once I have my Caliper tomorrow...I'll be measuring the hell out of EVERY goddamn thing.

I always wanted to know, to within .001", how thick my nose hairs were.
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

i mean like things you wear on your hat that look like harleys
kwikbb
bitPimp

Post by kwikbb »

Namuna wrote:Sounds good, about the pins...I'm wondering if the Home Depot might not have super-thin nails that we could use as pins?
good Q... but the HD nails will not have the texture of the bit pins, ya know the croos-hatch stuff for grip.
:rockon:
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

you can just use drift axles or microsizers axle sets
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

kwikbb wrote:
Namuna wrote:Sounds good, about the pins...I'm wondering if the Home Depot might not have super-thin nails that we could use as pins?
good Q... but the HD nails will not have the texture of the bit pins, ya know the croos-hatch stuff for grip.
That's exactly what I used to install my rims... The only bad part is the nails are ferrous and draw the magnet to one side, but it's not bad enough to where they won't work.. I still use em.
Does anybody know how to make metal non ferrous without a long anodizing process?

Without the grip on the nail like kwik refered to, I just glue the nails in the knuckles.. (works good)

silla
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
kwikbb
bitPimp

Post by kwikbb »

payaso wrote:
kwikbb wrote:
That's exactly what I used to install my rims... The only bad part is the nails are ferrous and draw the magnet to one side, but it's not bad enough to where they won't work.. I still use em.
Does anybody know how to make metal non ferrous without a long anodizing process?

Without the grip on the nail like kwik refered to, I just glue the nails in the knuckles.. (works good)

silla
sweet... confirmation! It's all good, glue eh... it's always the simplest thing a that seem to evade me lol... :)

-word
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Okay, I haven't actually tried it (I will when I get home)...But ain't the stock axle ferrous?
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

The only bad part is the nails are ferrous and draw the magnet to one side, but it's not bad enough to where they won't work.. I still use em.

ya find aluminum ones. the knuckle pins from the clones come out real easy. they are totally reusable.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

hogjowlz wrote: ya find aluminum ones. the knuckle pins from the clones come out real easy. they are totally reusable.
You can't use the stock pins off the knuckles cause of the croos-hatch stuff that kwik refered to. It's too big to fit through the hole in the rim.

You need a pin that's the same size all the way down. (no nub on the end)

Namuna: The front stock pins are non-ferrous, while the stock back axle is ferrous..(weird) I guess it's all about the front.

silla

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
kwikbb
bitPimp

Post by kwikbb »

payaso wrote:I guess it's all about the front.

silla
to the front to the back, back to the front... flip it up rub it down oh no! lol
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

cyclona knuckle pins dont have that cross hatch stuff.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

hogjowlz wrote:cyclona knuckle pins dont have that cross hatch stuff.
Those are some sweet words.. I've been through so many different sets looking for ones without it. Any way to reproduce em?

silla

hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

im sure. where to get em im not sure. ill ad that to the list of crap to ask my brother.
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Well, I took out my magnet to test just how strong the iron content was in the rear axle pin.

- On a stock bit...Pretty weak pull, so that's good.
- On a stock ZipZaps...Pretty STRONG pull.

So that's interesting.

And if anyone cares, or needs to know; The Diameter of the rear axle pin, on a stock bit, is .048" (or 1.24mm)...I love my new Digital Caliper

I measured the diameters of the front and rear wheels (on a bit) as well...I'll post that info tomorrow, I'm goin to bed.