Alloy rims and tires

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Anyone got any ideas on that etched sheet? I don't even know WHAT to search for on the net to get info on those things.

Is it a sheet, a stamp, what?
kwikbb
bitPimp

Post by kwikbb »

This looks interesting;
http://www.emachineshop.com/
You design they fabricate... something as detailed and minute as this may be better out-sourced anyhow. *shrug

Just an idea
:rockon:
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

After looking over Payasos pics posted of the rims...I noticed something inscribed on the etched-sheet...'Scala 43 WT 05"

Check this out...
http://www.scala43.com (look in the wheels section)
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Holy mother of all things erect...lol How in name of all things tasty did I not find that in my quest for pimpness..

How do we get hooked up with all that? Awesome find Namuna..

I was going to suggest doing a search on light sensitive metals. I used to work with this when designing jewelry. You just put a pattern over metal and whatever's exposed to light gets etched away.. Cool stuff.

silla
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Namuna wrote:Alright pimps and pimpettes, I've gone an done it.

I'm gearing up on the tools and how-tos...That's just the rims though, that's only 1 out of 3

The tires should only be a matter of making molds.

That etched sheet is the bitch of the bunch though, I'm off to figure out the deal on that.
The rear tires from the pullbacks are exactly the same size as the tires that come with the germen ones, but a little stickier. The bad part is that you gotta buy 2 pullbacks to get enough tires..

silla

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

I've been thinking more and more about the rim design...

The area around the outside is completely flat (where the tires go over)...Don't the tire, over time, start to slide off the rims?
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

have you put pullback wheels on a bit yet? i wasnt sure at first but it is awesome. really nice acceleration and its a lot less likely to flip over in a highspeed turn. i need to set up a big oval track now. this thing would haul.

those germans know whats up sometimes.
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

Great find namuna. I'm also wondering about tire slipage. Maybe payaso can elaborate on how well the tires stay on the rim.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Namuna wrote:I've been thinking more and more about the rim design...

The area around the outside is completely flat (where the tires go over)...Don't the tire, over time, start to slide off the rims?
I guess it's possible, but I've never experienced that, and I run my cars pretty hard..

The tires fit on the rims so well that they're a little snug when pulling them off to do something. The pullback tires are just as snug on the alloy rim.

silla

CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Holy damn! That'd be kick arse if we could get those rims! I can't believe the selection! :)

So far, from what I'm seeing and exerpiencing, the pullback tires are very sticky, they also don't have quite the elasticity that normal bit tires do. I think that fact alone would be enough to keep the tires on the rims, they fit so snuggly.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
Shypo
bitPlaya'

Post by Shypo »

MAN THAT IS SUPPPER COOOOL, NICE WORK MAN DAYUM, we gots ta get them
Go Fast, Be Free with Low CC
MythosGR
bitHood

Post by MythosGR »

Ive emailed scala 43 in the past.
They ship their wheels to me.
They cost around 13 Euro.
But with hard tires.
But...

I don't think I want to trust them my Credit Card.
Plus their wheels have the special tab in the oposite of the gear side?

And to answer a question that has arrised before...Some german alloys didn't fit as some people said before because of different diameters if you chack the site not all wheels have the same...

Should I go ahead and buy one set from them and tell you what I think???
Shypo
bitPlaya'

Post by Shypo »

i got that rewsponse 2 Mythos, please dude order sum jus to c what they are like :D
Go Fast, Be Free with Low CC
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

i'm keepin the dream alive my friends...Slow but sure.

Been reading my Machining book and recently ordered some measurement tools (a kickass Digital Caliper, by Starrett)...This 'world' of machining is NO JOKE.

This is still only in the realm of the rim itself, I still have no clue about producing the tires nor the etched sheet...Maybe I'll just reproduce the stock rims (rear wheel size for all 4) so I could just use the stock tires.

Then again, once the machining skills are in place...I've got thoughts of making rims for my Bits/Epochs/Mini-Zs and making a Pan Chassis is easier and maybe even a muffler.
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

my brother will be in town this weekend. he could do the specs probably. hes more than likely gona need a set.

and i know a guy who casts pins. i bet he could do the center parts. ill investigate.