Front Pin Removal and Insert

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

yea, ruffles (tm) and my pliers have r-r-r-ridges
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
eman
bitHood

Post by eman »

well, i still cant get them out. I tried holding onto the wheel with pliers and pulling on the pin, and holding onto the knuckle with pliers and pulling on the pin.
Neither worked, and i fudged up my rim :(
:-D = not me
:-? :sad: =me
Plantraco desktop rover for sale
email me at eman54@optonline.net if you want it
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I've had a couple pins that refused to be removed, oh yeah I got them out, but not before I bent the pin, messed up the wheel or smashed a steering knuckle.

Sorry you messed up your wheel, but you know, sometimes these things happen. A broken wheel is not the end of the world, it just gives you an excuse to snag some wheels off a Dub City, or other die-cast. Just be glad you didn't smash the knuckle. I'm one steering knuckle short of putting together another complete car.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
VooDooMafia
bitPimp

Post by VooDooMafia »

I tried to pull the pin out and the pin broke. Well Like crazydave said at least the knuckle is ok. I was tring to make the front wheel same size as the back. Now I am thinking I should save the knuckles for when the Alloys I ordered come in or when the set of 4 pullbacks that I just bought come in and use those rims. Any suggestion on making a new pin?
Last edited by VooDooMafia on Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Don't care what you say PIMPIN aint easy, you Broke A$$ Mother F*&Ker
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

VooDooMafia wrote:I tried to pull the pin out and the pin broke. Well Like crazydave said at least the knuckle is ok. Anyone have any suggestions for a new pin?

I use the smallest nail I could find... #19 braids... Got em at "Lowes"

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
eman
bitHood

Post by eman »

Im not planning on using these wheels since im doing a pullback mod. Im using a spare chassis i have.

What i have is a
gutted bit charg 2 speedchassis
MS pro chassis
dead bit charg 2 speed remote(few wires broken on teh inside, they could be soldered but i dont need this)
and a MS pro remote.
everything is on 27mhz
I got the ms pro because the rear axle was loose on my bit charg
so right now im trying to put the pullback stuff onto the bit charg knuckles, so i do have the knuckles on the MS that i can use if i mess up these.

What i wanted to do was a fullsize wheel mod on the bit charg, and a pullback wheel mod on the MS.
So i dont need these front wheels, i just need the knuckles.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

you can try heating the pin a tad with your soldering iron too - but you gotta be even more careful not to overheat
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

CaboWabo wrote:you can try heating the pin a tad with your soldering iron too - but you gotta be even more careful not to overheat

I went that route before, and ended up melting the holes through the knuckles... Grrrr.. Still using em though.

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
eman
bitHood

Post by eman »

i want to stay away from flames, i would probably melt everything and end up with the pin :-D
eman
bitHood

Post by eman »

The pullback has arrived!

Can i use super glue to glue the rear wheels on? I used that when my wheels came loose last time.
Im afraid im going to mess this up.
eman
bitHood

Post by eman »

Arg, i can not remove the pullback wheels from the pullback knuckles, or the bit wheels from the bit knuckles :sad:

so far for the back, i have all the wheels off. I cut off the spacer on one of the pullback wheels.
Now i know i have to cut off a bit of the axle, and i have to put paper on the axle where the wheel goes so it fits tight. My problem is, with the paper in, the wheel gets crooked. Im trying not to flip out in frustration, because that will make everything much worse.
eman
bitHood

Post by eman »

update. the rear wheels are done.
I cut the axle a little too short, but i fixed it by shaving off some of the gear, so its all good.

Now, the front end. I will try and get the pin out at my friends house tonight, he has better pliers than me.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

eman wrote:update. the rear wheels are done.
I cut the axle a little too short, but i fixed it by shaving off some of the gear, so its all good.

Now, the front end. I will try and get the pin out at my friends house tonight, he has better pliers than me.
The best way to get the pullback front wheels of the pullback knuckles is to just take a pair of wire cutters, and snip off the knuckle.. (You won't need em)

The knuckle will pop right off, leaving you with a perfect pin, and wheel.

CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

eman, edit your posts, you don't have to reply 3 times in a row to yourself...

careful with your pullbacks, but you gotta put a little force to em to get em off.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I'm with Payaso, I just cut the steering knuckle off the pull back rims. That way you have a nice new pin, unmarred by pliers, and you end up with an extra set of pins, in case you bend your other ones pulling them out.

I also save the screw that holds the pullbacks together, it's the same as the one that holds the bulkhead down on the Microsizer.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"