Help on custom fitting a body

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
Camshaft
bitThug

Help on custom fitting a body

Post by Camshaft »

I bought a bunch of skateboard clones for my shop, in addition to a bunch of Micro Speed body sets. A friend of mine suggested making a "shop vehicle" using the stuff I sell, so here goes. I cracked open one of my skateboarder clones. It was nice...it had those wide wheel covers, a huge antenna, a nice suspension, and good speed. There's just one problem...I can't get the body off. It's glued on. What do you guys use to remove glue from plastic? I have a sweet Imp body I want to put on it.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

well, first off - welcome to the hood.
second, I have to admit, I don't know what you're talking about - "skateboarder clone" and "shop vehicle"?
I'm assuming when you say "shop vehicle", you mean a micro that looks and carries the logo of your shop (kind of as an advertisment) and possibley a demo vehicle?
Because I've never seen what you're talking about, I can't give any suggestions. we need pictures.
I'd guess the body is glued on from the inside some how, either in front and/or back or in the middle.

provide some detailed pics, maybe someone can help
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
synj
bitGangsta'

Post by synj »

JDM-R34
bitGangsta'

Post by JDM-R34 »

I think what he means by skateboard clone is a bit with a skateboard for the body and a lil dude standing on it or something, just like the bits with a crotch rocket body instead of a normal car body. :cool: I don't know but I think thats what he's talking about. :cool:
DRIFT HAPPENS
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

The skateboard clone I checked out, the body cameright off, and a Microsizer body fit just fine. Those Microspeed bodies are odd sized, and the wheel base will not match up unless you play with the body mounts.

As for removing the glue, those skateboard things are awkward, clumsy, heavy, and basically silly and useless in my opinion. Personally I'd just break that puppy right off, and shave any remaining glue off with an exacto blade.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Camshaft
bitThug

Post by Camshaft »

As a "shop vehicle," it's a car that shows off what you can do with my products. The body mounts on this one are longer so the body will work fine. I'm going to acetone it and then dremel it off if that dosent work. Thanks for the warm welcome!
Camshaft
bitThug

Post by Camshaft »

Well, I used acetone and carefully removed the skateboard. Now any body will fit this car. Thanks for all of your help! This sucker is fast too! That skateboard body was mad heavy! :eek:
Image[/img]