Guitars / Cats

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.

Has anyone tried both? What do you find to work best Guitar string or Cat 5 wire?

Guitar String
44%
Cat 5
56%

Total votes: 9

Finks
bitPimp

Guitars / Cats

Post by Finks »

Has anyone tried both? What do you find to work best Guitar string or Cat 5 wire?
Suck My Bits
:twisted:©2005 Finks fucked your girlfriend in highschool inc
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

muh fuckin twist ties. because they dont cost jack and they are just the right size for a bit.

plus you get to be destructive when you take the paper/plastic shit off.

really whatever is thinner and lighter per inch is the best antenna.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Well when I tried guitar string and apparently I was using too thick of a piece, but I recently discovered I had a Cat 5 cable laying around all along, and been using that. I really like it because it's stiff, but you can still work the kinks out. If you stick a car with guitar string in you pocket, it'll get all bent up. (and yeah, I have been known to stick my cars in my pocket, out of convenience. :lol: )

I don't think either makes a big difference in reception.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
stagg
bitGangsta'

Post by stagg »

i like to use a thing guitar stirng. its like the second thinnest, i think it looks better, and sorta resembles a realy antenna also, and they always stay stright up.
Finks
bitPimp

Post by Finks »

So basically use what you have. Thanks for the input. Wasn't sure if it actually mattered.
Suck My Bits
:twisted:©2005 Finks fucked your girlfriend in highschool inc
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

It matters a little bit. For example, solid core wire works much better than stranded, and I think copper works better than not copper. There is a formula for the perfect antenna length that is based on the frequency. I'll see if I can find it. These are things that will eek out a few more feet, not double your range.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

SuperFly wrote:There is a formula for the perfect antenna length that is based on the frequency. I'll see if I can find it.
that'd be kick ass actually.
SuperFly wrote:These are things that will eek out a few more feet, not double your range
at this scale that's like a hundred miles lol
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Ditto Cabo's comments, I'd like to see that formula too.

...and another off handed comment, everone's always talking about range in feet, but for me, it's not about distance, because I'm playing in a small area, it more about minimizing glitching with in that area, and every tiny bit helps.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
stagg
bitGangsta'

Post by stagg »

its 16.66666 inches..well thats what i though. but if you get like 1/4 or 1/2 that its still great.
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

stagg
bitGangsta'

Post by stagg »

what would they be then.. damn should have payed attention when we learned about wavelenghts... o well.