Scala43 Alloys...How do I put these things together?

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

The easiest way I found to mount the Scalas is to make custom shims.. Sounds hard, but not shit to it.

First you start off with some adhesive alluminum foil. (I got mine from Cabo) It's super thin shit, and has a slightly sticky backing on it.

I went to the LHS to get new axle rod. You can use a Bit or ZZ axle, but you'll need a straight piece of metal stock to make the shim on first.

First cut a strip of this foil almost as wide as the wheel hole, and about an inch long.

You can wrap the axle rod until the foil is wrapped tight. Don't wrap too much at once, but just the initial inch, and just fine tune it after to fit the hole in the wheel.

Once you have a snug fit, you can work the shim off the metal stock, and slide it off the end. Fit it into the wheel hole with a tiny bit of super glue. Once dry, you have new hole to fit your axles into.

Super glue sets up nice in it too, so once they're mounted, they're pretty solid.

I also sand down the one side of the wheel gear so my oppposite nub is not as big.. (keeps the tires under the body)

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

payaso wrote:I also sand down the one side of the wheel gear so my oppposite nub is not as big.. (keeps the tires under the body)
I did the same thing... I wanted the same offset as the fronts had...
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Yeah that sucks Namuna, sorry about that.

That was like a year ago when I was doing that. I guess pen tips change over time. :lol:

Well it worked for me before. Sounds like a they're using smaller tips now, so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do next time.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

A'ight Cabo, give it up bro...What's the product name on that sticky aluminum shit?

I haven't completely given up on the pen tip idea yet...while the 'ink-side' was loose, the 'tip-side' might actually work (shaved down slightly). I want this to work because when I actually SAW the pen at Staples, I realized it's the same thing we buy IN BULK at work! I could walk around and snatch a shitload of these things and experiment all I want.

Post by Namuna »

Just checked over at MicroMark, is it this shit?
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.as ... t&ID=80795

Post by CaboWabo »

that's exactly the stuff Namuny. :-)
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

bird uses shit like that but its shinier. neato stuff.
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Here are the real makers of that Bare-Metail Foil shit...
http://www.bare-metal.com/foil.htm

The Ultra-Brite Chrome, or Black Chrome sounds like some cool stuff to try on a Custom Body

I'll pass though, $5.50 for just 1 of their 6inch x 12inch sheet is a little too rich for my blood.
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

Off the Scala topic for a sec...

I love the stuff... I found a sheet of Detail Master Krome Foil at a lhs for like six bucks a while back... and it's like 10" x 13" or so... I've been using it to do headlights and taillights and shit for a while now and barely put a dent in the sheet... I even cut some off to give to 219, and there's still so much more that I promised hog that I'd give him some next time we hook up... Anyways, here's how it looks on a bit... I wish I had an updated photo of this ride because I went nutty after I did my internal xmod twistie antenna and did the grille, tailpipes, and door handles...

I'll throw updated pics of the ride in its own thread once I get around to fully finishing it.

OK, back to the alloys... I basically followed Cabos tutorial, but pretty much went freestyle on the back axle to get the width to match the front... funny, payaso did the same... I just did what I felt needed to be done to match the widths... Oh, and instead of using epoxy, I used fiberglass resin... not coarse "tiger hair" shit... really fine grain fiberglass... It took me 3 weeks(holy shit!) to get them rolling perfect, but, damn was it worth it...
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

You prick bastards...Looks like I'm gonna be makin another order with MicroMark in the NEAR future (including some sheets of that Ultra brite Chrome foil).

$8.75 for 2 sheets is actually the best price around for this shit.

And if any of you mooks needs to buy this shit just a sheet at a time or whatever, best price I found (per sheet) is here:
http://www.swiftsite.com/rosemonthobby/baremt.htm

And they charge you the ACTUAL shipping. I spoke with the guy on the phone and he said the ship on only a sheet would be like $1.50.
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i just got my first set today and installation was a dream! 8-)
for the rear i used some wd40 tubing as the spacer and fattened up the axle tips by allowing superglue to dry on them.
the front was simple as i have some bushings that fit PERFECTLY in the holes of the rim. these are the same ones i use in the lego wheels.

so now i got a perfectly mounted set of alloys on my se and apart from the front wheels rubbing during turns (easy fixed) they're fuckin' awesome! they compliment this chassis well. now the hunt for the perfect shell begins! :search:
i used to be cool
Xcore
bitHood

Post by Xcore »

I know this is a stupid question, but how do you order alloys from Scala 43? I've tried searching, but I can't find anything on how to actually order them.

~Yaris~
Bigg wrote:hi i would like it if everybody would post a pic ofn themselves in latex underwear that they took
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

we've had dumber :-)

your best bet is to learn german or get friendly with a german speaker/writer.
then go here:
http://www.scala43.com/scala43/rad.htm

but most of us get them second hand when they pop up for sale. this is a rare occurence indeed :sad:
i used to be cool
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

Cause I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle.