DarkTari: how do you paint your rims?

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
mikirgra
bitThug

DarkTari: how do you paint your rims?

Post by mikirgra »

All, feel free to contribute. I called out DT because I love the paint jobs on his rims. That's art baby.

So how do you do it? Do you spray, brush, or what? Do you sand and/or prime before laying the color down? Do you clear coat the rims after you're done?

I've tried ultra fine tip paint markers, and fine brushes. Don't like the results. I'm going to try some little foam pad paint applicators I found at the LHS next.

thx
stagg
bitGangsta'

Post by stagg »

i sometimes use nailpolish.
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

Damn! I Missed this one like a mug! :-?

I according to the paint, I'll primer first with a brush on Testors.

Painting I just use a very fine brush I picked up from the local Craft store (Michael's in this case)

You're probably not interrested anymore looking at when you posted but there it is 8-)
mikirgra
bitThug

Post by mikirgra »

DarkTari wrote:Damn! I Missed this one like a mug! :-?

I according to the paint, I'll primer first with a brush on Testors.

Painting I just use a very fine brush I picked up from the local Craft store (Michael's in this case)

You're probably not interrested anymore looking at when you posted but there it is 8-)
Still very interested. Thanks DT. I'll give the primer a try. Do you sand or remove the original chrome off the bit wheels before you paint over them? Don't guess that's necessary if you're priming though.

I did a couple that way: removed the chrome, painted w/o primer, then clearcoated, all with a brush. They don't look as good as yours, but maybe that's experience, or more likely talent, and my lack thereof.
rt450

Post by rt450 »

i did a couple after seeing DT's wheels. i like the "candy" colors over the chrome. i did 1 in blue and 1 in red. really hard to paint those little spokes without touching anything else. mine doesn't look as good as his either, but it still looks cool. DT's got the skills.