Made my first "U" joint tonight, i may be in over

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Made my first "U" joint tonight, i may be in over

Post by Sporttracguy »

Ok, im sure some of you will think im compleatly nuts but here goes. I was recently inspired by some of the germans table top trucks, if anyone has ever seen these things they are amazing,, tiny U joints and suspensions with 4 sometimes 6 wheel drive,, these things are just nuts.

Anyways, i want to make a mini T style car but scale it down to the size of an epoch (1:43 scale or so) Not sure how well its going to work, or if it will at all but i have some sketches drawn up and i started making one of the U joints tonight out of some brass tubing,, check it out:

This thing is tiny and believe it or not when its together with the other center rod the thing works! go figure huh,, anyways, just thought i would show off this crazy project im going to try and build

Sporttracguy
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

fucking awesome man! that's some fiddly shit to attempt, good luck! :-)
i used to be cool
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

betty.k wrote:fucking awesome man! that's some fiddly shit to attempt, good luck! :-)
I Agree, but if anyone can pull it off, U Can ! :-o
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Kick ass, the post is in English. We're so used to seeing the Germans do this type of work, good to have a 'Merican doing it.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

CaboWabo wrote:Kick ass, the post is in English. We're so used to seeing the Germans do this type of work, good to have a 'Merican doing it.
:lol:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

yeah, its hard work on the eyes for sure and frustrating because that joint alone took me a good half an hour to make. Im starting with the back end, each side will need 2 U joints. my actual mini t is in the mail so i dont have anything to really go off or except for pictures. I may scrap the U joint idea a little and try to make some dog bone style joints but im thinking that may be just as hard. I also dont have enough brass tubing laying around so ill have to run to the hobby shop next week and pick some more up. I figure if the Germans can do it I can atleast attempt it :cool:
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Killer man... That's looks like fun. I love to craft shit like that too... I just have no freakin time, and that calls for time, and a half....lol

I think you'd be better suited with the dog bones rather than the U-joints, cause the dog bones have play for the suspension travel, and the U-joints need to be in a slider shaft, or when the shocks extend, it will pull the axle out...

Your mini T has the dog bones on it.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
filelicker
bitNinja

Post by filelicker »

I made some for TTTT trcuk I have been working on and yours look great to me .Keep up the great work
People are like slinkies..... they are the most fun when you push them down stairs.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

A UV joint and slider shaft will transfer power more efficiently, and last longer than a dog bone, but you could compromise, and do a UV joint at the wheel end, and a dog bone at the tranny end.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

yeah, im thinking ill have a U joint on one side and the dog bone on the other so i wont risk pulling on the axle with the up and down of the suspension. I still need more materials before i do much more work though :???:

Any other ideas or advice is always welcome

STG
Jeep
bitThug

Post by Jeep »

Sweet stuff.
arfin
bitGangsta'

Post by arfin »

Real good job man, what types of tools are you using? I really want to try something like this.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

believe it or not im using my mad dremel skills for most of this. i also have a small hand drill (kind of like an xacto knife handle with a tiny drill bit). I use a very thin dremel grinding wheel, one pass and its the correct width so there is little room for error. other than that just patience and it gets done slowly.,, oh, and a big ol magnifying glass :shock: