How to build a Single Cab truck from Double Cab - ZZ

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
frizzen
bitDisciple

How to build a Single Cab truck from Double Cab - ZZ

Post by frizzen »

I got kinda tired of the stock ZZ truck bodies, they don't look quite enough like real trucks to me. Even with offroader body mods, they still look a bit much like poser trucks people commute with or use to take kids to soccer in. Well F-that!

Trucks are to haul stuff, not people; obviously I need more bed than passenger room! Plus I've yet to see anybody make a singlecab, and it'll look way more badass on a zz-m chassis. So, let's customize!

Step 1: Make truck all kinds of naked by removing everything you possibly can.

Step 2: Break truck. <Pimp secret: thread.> You can make longer tonnau cover if you wish. <Optional: I also cut out part of tonnau support to make bed, also rear LED mounts removed>

Step 3: Break further, file flat, mockup, apply CA. Removed roof section cut up and CA to bed rails

Step 4: Wait for CA to flash, file down flush, <Optional cut rear window>, apply filler of choice to unwanted lines <Pimp Secret: CA + Talc>, file in new body/bed line, <Optional rework to front end and taillights for a secret mod>.

I'll go on more next post.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

good idea.looks nice so far :-)
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

couldnt u just fill the first door in and make it a bigger door? :grin: i think itd look better bigger neways.
[]D [] []V[] []D
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

ynad, Thanks dude!
-
civicsr2cool, :-? um, yeah... Why don't you try it and show us how that looks?
___

I kinda stalled out on this for the moment, not sure if I need to build a bed, a truck cap, or a camper shell. Thoughts? Probably going with a bed since I know how it is making them, but I hadn't seen the others done yet. *shrug* What do you want a tutorial on?
-
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

since you are making a winch, as in your other thread, it would be better to make a camper bed so that you could fit all the stuff in there, so it would look good. its just a suggestion, and nice job! :-o
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

I'ld say stick with a bed but if ya wanna do something "different" then do a camper. :lol:
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Sorry, "Desperado" (double cab, metal body mods) is getting the winch, and it all fits in that body with the bed flat on the pcb cover. Everything behind the cab is too tight to use for putting anything else, and I like it that way, makes people really wonder.

This is a completely different project, I just used the Silverado body because it was the first body I grabbed out of the box. This project probably will not get a winch as I'm not even sure what I'm aiming for right now. I don't even have a good project name!
---
I only suggested Camper Shell because I saw this trick ride. http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpFo ... highlight=
If he can make a whole RV, a camper shell out of styrene isn't gonna be that bad to make...

A truck cap is much less work than a camper, and probably slightly less work than a dropped in bed, and nobody else has one that I've seen. But like the camper it doesn't really highlight my Longbed.

A full bed like "Desperado", I've done once so I've got the concept. It'll show off the cab/bed difference, and my rear window, plus I haven't seen many people crazy enough to make one yet. Downside is the bed isn't very deep due to PCB issues.

I dunno.
-
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

I only suggested Camper Shell because I saw this trick ride.
If you need some styrene let me know I have some extra it would not be heavy and detailed out it would look sweet. If fact make a back door that opens up oh ya now that would look good! :-o
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Thanks, but I'm good for a while. Still got most of a big sheet of either 0.040 or 0.060" from my LHS. Oh, and that RV of yours is cool as hell! And I'd love to see more on how you built the car trailer. *drool* God damn that whole thing was a trick ride.

I'll probably do some cardstock mockups of cap and camper this week or so, just to see how they look. (pics will follow once they don't look too bad).

Any ideas how to mount a cap/camper onto a bed that's not going to be permanent or fubar my paint?
-
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

small magnets on the underside of each corner of the canopy and bed that line up? That way you could still do your tray and have the camper removable.
either that or 4 pins that can slot in/out, but that might get a bit sloppy with time, and means holes in your pretty lookin' tray.

edit: geez, my 100th post. :shock:
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
"Nope, just regular kind"
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Alright, these were thrown together cardboard mockups. Poor enough quality that I feel bad to post it. I spend maybe 15 minutes working on them. But here it is for you teasing amusement

Truck cap

Camper shell

Opinions?

I don't really know about these... Camper might work on a car chassis, but I'm not all about it on a ZZ-M (plus I made mine too tall). Cap could work, but again it's not really doing it for me.
-
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

Of the 2 I'ld say cap. The camper, like you said, don't look right on the monster chassis. :-)
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

sessiz wrote:Of the 2 I'ld say cap. The camper, like you said, don't look right on the monster chassis. :-)
like the man said :-) :-) cap looks cool :lol:
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Doritos
or
Ditto
however you wanna say it.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

i've changed my mind, cap looks better. :-o