How to build a Single Cab truck from Double Cab - ZZ

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

The grille section is going to be smoothed a bit more (or a mesh/honey comb installed), painted satin black, and maybe a blue oval in the center. I just decided I really needed to get MY truck done this far before people using my tutorial got THEIRS built.

Did it as a kandy using Valspar gloss Silver with Duplicolor Metalcast translucent Blue. It's much darker in real life, more of a royal blue than a pastel; but the way the sun lit it up today really looks sweet. Didn't wash it out with a flash, but it was a bright as hell clear day with just enough clouds to bounce the light around more.

Yeah, that's an interior. Blue Recarro buckets with grey 5-point harnesses, center console. I won't have the dash and steering wheel installed until I get around to cutting some NON-tinted glass. Probably flat or satin grey for the carpet and interior panels.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

Oh, I used Testors Indy Silver and Candy Blue for the airbrush. Its basically this color.

As for the grille.. I thought it was done :-(
Keep up the good work :smile:
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Anything look different?
-
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

God damn, even with a tutorial people aren't going to try? Is my Tut just too hard for them? Oh well, that means I'll be the only one in End of Year Contest with a SingleCab! :eek:

Afterall, it took less than a day to get a Ram this far:

ADDITIONAL HELP

Make your first cut across the roof, just after the B-pillar. Next, cut across roof just before C-pillar. Then make a stop cut along the base of C-pillar, then make another cut going down to that cut just aft of the C-pillar.

You now have a roof section and a rear window section. File mating surfaces of those the rear window and body, glue together. Cut filler chunks for the now gaping holes in the bed, glue in place. Cut and file those flush with body. Run glue into body lines you don't want, use filler if needed.
Last edited by frizzen on Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

Hell, I'll do one because it looks so cool. I just have to get some new bodies, because my other ones are: a.destroyed, or b.being used for some other projects. I'll try to get some stuff so that I can get it done. I might even try to make that camper shell you talked about a few months ago. Great work, and keep the stuff comin'!
:-o
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Ok, I'll let you guys in on another pimp secret...

Winter "Guide Coat". It's too cold to lay down a guide coat of paint on your car, but you've run out of stuff to do on your other bodies and are bored. Hit the area you're working with a sharpie, preferably one of the "Sharpie Metallic" ones because they show flaws really well.

And here's an altered body on an altered chassis.

So, in addition to the obvious: I've squared up the upper trailing edge of the windows, installed rear window, shaved handles, cleaned off mold lines, and started on the rollpan. And shown how you can test out Fugly paint schemes using sharpie, then hit with rubbing alchohol and wipe it back off when you realize it sucks.
-