Micro overland bit! Check this out!

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Micro overland bit! Check this out!

Post by Sporttracguy »

After picking up a few of those cheap 4x4 style bits at wallgreens i installed two cells, a zzmt motor and it was great but it was missing something,,,,suspension! so i took another one and started hacking it to pieces and decided to emulate the overland chassis.

This is just mocked up, i still have alot of grinding and problem solving to work on but i couldnt wait to show you guys what i had been working on.

So far i installed an orange zzmt motor on the rear and made a simple aluminum chassis with brass shock mounts. The shocks are from an off road slot car and were just a perfect fit (very soft shocks) you can see a brass wire coming through the chassis up top, that will be cut off soon, its part of the top stabalizer,, ill have to make a bottom one and then a set for the front.

for the steering wires i removed some wire casing and ran the wires through there so i dont break them later on.

thats the basic idea,, ill put two or three cells in there and its going to run a two speed microsizer pcb for better rock crawling.

im still working on a body, its a little longer than a normal bit so ill have to make something up.

let me know what you think

STG
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

Damn..

Looks promising. very nice, work keep us updated!

:-o

Can we maybe get some shots of the steering mechanisms up front?
Username
bitThug

Post by Username »

Very cool.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

yeah, ill see what i can do,, its just normal magnet bit steering. I doubled up the steering spring, put some extra zz springs in there, and just ran the wires differently,, nothing fancy.

STG
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

Sporttracguy wrote:nothing fancy.
i beg to differ! :eek:
that's super fancy! :-o
i used to be cool
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

betty.k wrote:
Sporttracguy wrote:nothing fancy.
i beg to differ! :eek:
that's super fancy! :-o

Lol agreed :-)

Its the fanciest mini truck ive ever seen :smile:
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

alright, here is a bit of an update,, i compleatly finished the rear suspension so now its articulating great under its own weight. I threw some cells and a fried PCB in there just for a mock up. I still need the stabalizers (top and bottom for the front suspension and i need to run the steering wires but she is looking pretty good.

also, that tab body mount up front is going to have to come off.

There is a zzmt in the back there for scale purposes

here ya go:

It has about twice the travel than im showing you right now, i just didnt have anything on hand that was taller to put it on ..also, once the front suspension is working correctly i will get the proper flex from front to back

STG
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

sporttracguy wrote:It has about twice the travel than im showing you right now, i just didnt have anything on hand that was taller to put it on
Well just flip the skateboard sideways so we can really see this killer mod in action :-)
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

here ya go, there are $0.07 under that rear tire and looking at the front shocks there will probably be room for another $0.03 atleast (maybe that will give you some decent scale) Of course i cant say for sure what the final articulation will be until its all finished but so far its looking good.

(i tried it with the skateboard on its side and the darn board kept falling over,, these pennies are about the same height.)

STG
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

Damn looking good cant wait for the finished product!
arfin
bitGangsta'

Post by arfin »

Holy shit those mini shocks are soooooo cool. Good work man! Amazing, some lights, and an offroad type body and it's set. :-o
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

Looking good man! I like the way you used your imagination and built it from scratch! I can’t wait to see a body on that thing! Superb work! :-)
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Found the perfect body today,, i had a hard time finding a good plastic one with the correct wheel base but i found a plastic hummer at wally world that is an exact fit. I just need to cut out part of the bed so the shock mounts can fit through,, ill get pics later

EDIT:

ok, the plastic body came from one of those rev style monster trucks(like in the background) and the wheel base is a great fit but i had to cut out the bed floor. Ill probably make a tonneau cover for the bed and sand off that rag top (Yuck) so its a hard top again, make those side panels longer (i dont know why they are so short) and of course repaint it. I also have to remove a few pieces inside the body so it will sit a little lower.

anyways, here is a quick preview

STG
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

:-o :-o good looking
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

ok guys, a little update on the overland bit, ive since mounted all of the suspension parts and im working on the electronics now. The body is being modified so that the sides sit lower and she should be done soon. I was able to cram two zzse cells in there for a total of 4.8 volts of bashing fun.

STG