Baja bit

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Yep, same company(although i cant remember what company that is lol) As far as i know they only sell them at wallmart, you can get sport bikes, rock crawlers, baja buggies, baja trucks, normal cars and trucks...tons of little metal fun. The rock crawler bodies were made with much heavier gauge metal than the thin baja trucks, its the only reason i let myself go diecast on this one, i didnt want a weight issue.

STG
Fordman212
bitHood

Post by Fordman212 »

Yeah, the rock crawler body is ridiculously heavy for its size. You got me interested in this little baja truck of yours. I'm not going to jack ur project or anything, but i would prolly come up with some ideas of my own.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Awsome man! Id love to see what you come up with. Ive always taken a bit of pride in being the ginnie pig for a design, spark some ideas and see what people come up with that never crossed my mind

STG
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Sporttracguy wrote:Awsome man! Id love to see what you come up with. Ive always taken a bit of pride in being the ginnie pig for a design, spark some ideas and see what people come up with that never crossed my mind

STG
You are definately an inspiration. You give people a lot to build off of, but unfortunately, as others have said, what you do is just so involved, that its hard to even get to the point you're at. I really should just focus on doing a betty.k style offroader before trying to do anything like this, but I love it, I have to have one, and that's usually the spark that gets things done.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Fordman212
bitHood

Post by Fordman212 »

I just want to use the rims off the diecast trucks on one of my bits. I love the beadlock style. I tried them on my charger body (only on the back). Was pretty cool looking, but a bit too wide. Ill dremel them a bit and see what happens.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Yeah, ive used those bead lock wheels on a few of my bits, they always look awsome

These are the two that come to mind at the moment

STG
Zenith
bitGangsta'

Post by Zenith »

So thats where you got the rims for the H1.
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

Are ya gonna enter that in the contest?

I haven't seen anything like that, and yea, get that thing done! :-o
Zenith
bitGangsta'

Post by Zenith »

evoraptor wrote:Are ya gonna enter that in the contest?

I haven't seen anything like that, and yea, get that thing done! :-o
He better, looks like a winner to mee too.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Crazydave- Actualy my suspension bug was started with Betty K's bits and just grew from there. So mad props to betty for his ginnie pig work, i dont think i would have even thought of it if not for him.

yeah, this one will probably end up in the contest,,, im working on the finishing touches at the moment,, paint, some window netting, lights,, stuff like that,,,ill have this one done soon i hope

EDIT:

Ok, after a ton of grinding and fucking around with this tight fitting body its on and mounted in place. I need to paint the window netting and add some trim and the rear shock spring but its getting really close to being done...this one will be finished before i start on another bit, i promise :-o

here is a shot of what i have done so far. I still need to make a floor pan to clean up the sides and bottom. I finished the mesh in the windows, mounted the pcb and the body and a few other little problems that needed solving. those two wires will be cut short and a switch will be mounted under the bed to turn the car on and off (i use a modified epoch charger so i have to be able to turn off the truck so i dont fry the pcb) The red plug will be tucked under the bed as well (charge plug). I have lights for the front, some windshield roll bar work, a rear skid pan, spair tire lock, rear shock spring(putting that in right after this message, thats why its sitting on some pennies) and a few other tweaks,, anyways, its getting there

you can see where the pcb sticks out the back of the bed(if anyone was curious where that had to go)

Those front and rear shocks travel all the way to the wheel wells believe it or not, ill have articulation shots soon as well
STG
Last edited by Sporttracguy on Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Fuckin' A that is sweet!

How integrated are the tires to the overall function? I mean that question along the lines of how easy is it to switch to a different kind of tire/wheel combination?
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

the tires are pretty hard to change on those wheels, they are fairly hard and hollow. The rims have tabs that stick out and fit into the tire. So far with the off road testing and the cement this bit is for sure going to be a dirty bit for small jumps and alot of grit and grime.

IF you wanted to switch the entire wheel combo out to something different its as easy as switching wheels and tires on a bit as far as removing the axle pins up front and the wheels from the rear axle and just sticking whatever you want in there. I chose to keep these wheels and tires to complete the look but i still had to re drill them and mount them to the other axle mount and the front mounts.

having said that you can remove the tires and wrap them in other shoes but finding tires with that large of a diameter may be hard. Im thinking that if i do need a softer compound i can re tread them with some thin rubber or some sort but it works great for what i built it for. any major corners at dual cell speed on a kitchen floor would probably cause her to tip although i cant say for sure until i give it a try :???:

Ok, one more update for the night, the suspension is finished, the solid antenna is mounted, the on/off switch is mounted and the truck runs awsome on the smoother cement and in the dirt(not so great on the kitchen floor though) I still have alot of work to go before its done but its getting there. Tomorrow ill try and make an aluminum skid plate and sides(coke cans work awsome for that) get the bumper mounted, lights, front and rear skid plates, baja style spair tire lock, and a few other ideas that im toying with. ill get more pics tomorrow pimps

STG
SHAUN
bitDisciple

thats the bomb

Post by SHAUN »

thats the bomb its gota be the on of the coolest things ever. I am think about trying somthing simular. I think im going to try with a rock crawler buggy. who thinks that would look good ... and hey people im doing the best i can on the whole typing with commas its herd with 3 broken fingers

[/img]
1000+ post of BS.
skylinekid
bitGangsta'

Post by skylinekid »

Your work really impresses me STG, I love all your offroad bits and now this, wow :eek: Keep up the great work :-o :-o :-o
"...life is just a big bowl of cherries, a bunch of fairies screaming to be scary." - Limp Biscuit
Scorpion
bitPlaya'

Post by Scorpion »

evoraptor wrote:
Are ya gonna enter that in the contest?

I haven't seen anything like that, and yea, get that thing done!

He better, looks like a winner to mee too.
It would be a winner if he did, but i don't think he can enter it due to the size. Hopefully you can cause that little truck is very cool. To bad the "keep on truckin" contest wasnt still goin that woulda had 1st place for sure. :-(

EDIT: Yeah it woulda bumped you'r RV down even as cool as it is.